Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Event ID 153 on two VM's but not on host

Post by pstoric83 »

I'm posting this here as I think the error may be due to Veeam B&R as it happens around that time but not 100% sure.

I was checking my Server 2012 DC (It’s a VM running on Hyper-V) while I noticed some Disk (event 153) and DFSR errors in the event viewer. Immediately I remoted into the Hyper-V host and checked the event viewer for similar errors but did not find any at all for “Disk”. I then ran some utilities on the host to check the drive status but everything is showing OK. There is another DC (server 2019) also running on the Hyper-V host so I popped in there to check and I do see some Disk errors (event 153) showing as well.
Perhaps there is an issue with the virtual disk? It looks like the errors first appeared about a month ago on 3/1. Most of them occur around the time that Veeam backups happen (8:00PM) but some occur outside of that window.

The host is a Dell R230 running Server 2019 standard with the Hyper-V role. I’ve exported the RAID log from the Perc h330 and cannot see any errors in there and there are no patrol read errors either which is why I think the issue maybe with the virtual drive.
The host is a Dell R230 with a Perc H330 RAID adapter.

https://i.imgur.com/IZULA7f.png
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Event ID 153 on two VM's but not on host

Post by foggy »

Hi Paul, I'd recommend contacting support for a closer look and reviewing this existing thread discussing similar issues. Thanks!