Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
adb98
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Aaron B

NAS Backup - Repository Gateway Servers - Potential Flaw

Post by adb98 »

Long story short....When you add a file share...You have to add it as a managed server...The issue is that this makes the file share server available as a gateway server for your repository. The issue is if you have your Gateway server set to automatic the NAS backup fails because it tried to use the file share as a gateway server to get to the repository but only my proxies are setup to access the repositories. I never want my file share to be able to get to my repository directly. Our repositories are on a closed loop network that is only connected by proxies to get out to the production network.

If I set a gateway server, it works but then I am not load balancing and its going to push my proxy to the limits.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? How do you remove just gateway role from a managed server? In theory none of these file servers that get added as managed servers should get the gateway role.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: NAS Backup - Repository Gateway Servers - Potential Flaw

Post by Gostev »

Actually, you don't have to add a file share as a managed server, you can add it as SMB or NFS file share too. So this can be your simple workaround.

Other than that, I concur this is a good use case for us to consider the ability to disable roles from Managed Servers.