Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Noseve
Novice
Liked: 1 time

one computer separate jobs/repositories?

Post by Noseve »

Hi - apologies if this has been asked before, but I cannot find it after searching for various likely descriptions...
A simple situation - I want to backup a workstation system files to one repository, and another volume full of more static data to an alternative repository. The workstation in question also happens to the VBR server, if that matters?
The system backup is working fine, but after I add the second job - which I am allowed to do, without any complaint - the attempt to run it fails with error 'Skipping ComputerName: server/workstation is already assigned to backup policy SystemOnly'. I have tried adding this job both as a server and a workstation, with the same result.

To be honest, I don't really understand the distinction between the types 'Windows Agent Policy' and 'Windows Agent Backup' displayed on the Jobs/Backup screen. I am still finding my way around this.

I must be missing something simple, but what is it? The two repositories are stored on the same physical system across a LAN.

Frustrating, because the part that I thought would be tricky - a baremetal backup of a Hyper-V Core host and VM - has been a roaring success.

Whilst I shall appreciate all thoughts, I would ask that you please restrict your focus to the specific issue I am having. There are many reasons that I specifically wish to distribute the backups in the desired way, so any suggestions about alternative strategies will only hamper the discussion. Many thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: one computer separate jobs/repositories?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Two backup jobs of type "Managed by Server" should do the trick.
/Cheers!
Noseve
Novice

Post by Noseve »

Many thanks for that quick reply, Egor, I have only just seen it.
I'm sure that that's what I've been trying though.
Nevertheless I have set another job and shall see whether it has run when I'm back at base later this morning...
Noseve
Novice

Post by Noseve »

OK - well, the backup did not work initially, but after some housework - see below, for anybody suffering the same problem as I was - your steps were of course the way to do this. I had queered the pitch with my previous configurations.
Nevertheless, this is now sorted. Although I am happy with how things stand, I shall be even more satisfied when I'm familiar enough with the software to understand what the cause of the issue was.
For anybody else reading this, the general workflow that led me to the failing jobs loop was:
after setting various trial jobs, I didn't like the clutter on the inventory page\Manually Added where I had accumulated a load of seemingly duplicate entries for the various servers and workstations, with some being ComputerName-, some ComputerName.Domain- and some IP-address based.
I found that I could avoid this by right-clicking the target and creating the job from there. This results in a backup type of 'Windows Agent Policy' on the home page\Jobs\Backup display.
Having created a job in this way, it was then impossible to add any other jobs relating to that particular computer. Or more accurately, the job could be added, but would not run, citing the reason that the computer was already handled by another policy. As I wanted to backup the system to a different repository than that intended for my more static data, I needed to have separate jobs.
The solution was to delete all the jobs showing 'Windows Agent Policy' from the list, and recreate simply by using the right-click Jobs\Backup route and being careful to name the target computer EXACTLY the same as any existing reference to it, including identical capitalisation.
Now my Manually Added list has no superfluous entries and the jobs\backup list - apart from the 'Hyper-V Backup' jobs - all read as 'Windows Agent Backup' type. These include jobs running on the Workstation where VBR is installed and others. All are domain members.
I assume that I shall stumble across a single line or paragraph somewhere that will make me cringe with embarrassment at how obvious it was that I messed up, but for the moment I cannot see what I did incorrectly.
Thanks again Egor.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Glad it sorted out and thanks for feedback about whole process. I will see if we can improve user experience with it.
/Cheers!