PowerShell script exchange
bcconner
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ben Conner

restore guidance for file level restore

Post by bcconner »

Hi,

I need to put together a PS driven restore job for a set of files on a Windows VM, stepping through the revisions going back several weeks. Just learning Powershell from the videos and am not familiar with the snapin. Other than that, no problem. :)

What I'd like to create is a function that would let me do an OS level file restore from a given job for a given VM over a set of restore points. Perhaps something like:

rest_files(Backup,Mail,50-30,d:\mail\users\jack\*.grp,overwrite=yes)

where Backup is the name of the backup job, Mail is the VM name, 50-30 is the range of the restore points (going from 50 to 30), and the path would be the file(s) needing to be restored. Perhaps have an overwrite flag as well if desired.

Can someone outline the steps I need to put this together? Is this something the snapin modules can do?

Thanks!

--Ben
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Re: restore guidance for file level restore

Post by jhoughes »

Same post as in the vSphere forum, but adding here for purpose of showing a response.

Honestly, even as the PowerShell guy, I'd suggest that you may want to look at leveraging Enterprise Manager for this (especially if you only need this quickly/short term).

The GUI driven method of searching for files and downloading to a machine could be driven by either a backup admin, or a user if you allow them the permissions.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

We can assist with a PowerShell script if you run into some issues with it, but Enterprise Manager already has the functionality to meet this need.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
bcconner
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ben Conner

Post by bcconner » 4 people like this post

Oh! Didn't know the Enterprise Manager had that feature in it. Will see if I can do a temp install of it.

Thanks!
--Ben
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

You can also provide your end users with the ability to do it themselves for VMs where they are a member of the Local Administrators group. The best part is that you don't have to maintain "access list", because this self-service portal attaches to the existing permissions system. Yet another well hidden gem of Veeam ;)