Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ghsmith33
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: J Smith

How do I schedule a backup job to Azure

Post by ghsmith33 » 1 person likes this post

Hi Guys,

I created a Azure object repository.
I tried creating a scheduled backup job that would backup my VMs to an Azure Blob Storage account.
The problem is I only see my NAS and cant see my Azure repository that I created?

Am I missing a step?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How do I schedule a backup job to Azure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
I created a Azure object repository.
I guess you created an "external repository"? If yes, you can delete that. This one is to connect "Veeam Backup for Azure" and "Veeam Backup for AWS" to "Veeam Backup & Replication"
The problem is I only see my NAS and cant see my Azure repository that I created?
that's expected. Veeam cannot backup directly to object storage today. Only "copy" and "move old backups" is possible.

I always recommend starting with the quick start guide

To copy / move data to object storage, you need a so called "scale out repository" with "capacity tier" https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
ghsmith33
Novice

Post by ghsmith33 »

Hey Hannes,
Thank you for directing me to the resources.

From what I understand Veeam needs to do a backup to a disk-based backup(in this case my NAS) then using Capacity Tier to do a backup copy/offload of older backups to Azure(my object repository) depending on the numbers of days I select.
Veeam cannot backup directly to object storage today. Only "copy" and "move old backups" is possible.
I don't mind it copying to our NAS first, then to Azure. However, Capacity Tier can only copy an inactive chain. Meaning if I have a full backup with 7 days of increment, I'll only have to wait every 7 days until it gets offloaded to Azure even if I set the "Move Backup files older than" option to 1 day.

My fear if I lose my NAS i'll have lost 7 days of data.

The backup solution I'm looking for is parallel backup
> 1 current backup copy to our NAS - 1 current backup copy to Azure.
> then 7 increments saved to our Nas and 7 increments saved to Azure
> Repeat

Unless I am missing something? or a work around that achieves this in some shape or form.
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@ghsmith33 The copy mode will copy the data to the s3 target once the backup file in the performance tier is created. It is the move mode that only moves inactive/closed backups chains. The copy mode was introduced in v10 to solve the exact problem that you want to avoid.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
ghsmith33
Novice

Post by ghsmith33 »

Thanks guys for your help so far. I had to upgrade to Veam B&R 10 to get the Copy mode as @sfirmes suggested. It is able to send a backup to my NAS but when its trying to Offload during SOBR Tiering it gives me this error.

4/15/2020 4:35:52 PM :: Processing serverTest Error: WinHttpWriteData: 12030: The connection with the server was terminated abnormally

Any suggestions?
Version: 10.0.0.4461 P1
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Looks network-wise to me. Can't tell precisely though without diving into the logs.
Kindly open a case with our support and share its ID here.
Thanks!
ghsmith33
Novice

Post by ghsmith33 »

Hey, just wanted to share the solution.
the issue is that the Connection to Azure is dropping, likely this is load related, and decreasing Task limit to azure

I want you to First, apply the following registry key to the Veeam server and restart the Veeam services in the Veeam server and the Gateway:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\

Name:
AzureConcurrentTaskLimit
• Type: REG_DWORD
• Default value: 64
• Description: Amount of parallel HTTP requests for data upload (tasks) to Azure archive tier. Applied either on VBR server and applied automatically to all extents/gates, or can be set specifically on the extent/gate. Key on VBR server has higher priority.

Change the Value to "1"

This will limit the concurrent tasks trying to transfer data off to the S3 bucket to 1. This will ensure that we aren't flooding the S3 target. The default is 64, if this works then you can try increasing it over time in order to increase connection efficiency.
Still not out of the woods yet, as Im getting getting slow transfer speeds offloading to Azure. However that is another issue and not related to the topic.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Thanks for sharing, J, but I notice your engineer commented you can increase the limit gradually...for me since I have a lot of clients that want to go to Azure, I have two questions:

1. What is the pipe speed your have up to Azure on this site?
2. What number did you eventually settle on?

I know that all environments are different, but it at least helps me set some fuzzy min/max values as I work with clients.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether you're aware, but besides hardware limits there are environment-specific ones that you should keep in mind. Thanks!
archytype
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Pettigrew

Post by archytype »

I very much welcome this post as I tried to setup a backup job to the 'external repository' - my Azure Storage Account.
Somewhat tied in knots over this and to be honest a little dissapointed, in that a first stage backup job can not backup a VM or Agent protected resource directly to an Azure repo.

I will check in to the Backup Copy method as a Secondary Target and provide feedback on my experience.
ghsmith33
Novice

Post by ghsmith33 »

soncscy wrote: Apr 18, 2020 1:35 pm Thanks for sharing, J, but I notice your engineer commented you can increase the limit gradually...for me since I have a lot of clients that want to go to Azure, I have two questions:

1. What is the pipe speed your have up to Azure on this site?
2. What number did you eventually settle on?

I know that all environments are different, but it at least helps me set some fuzzy min/max values as I work with clients.
1. I've set it WAN
2. I believe i read that tasks were related to how many cores you have so I settled on 8. <-- I could be mistaken if thats how it works.