Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Copyjob one day behind

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

case #04119264. We have set the copy job interval to one day and a start time 1 minute after the scheduled time of the source backup. This worked fine from the beginning, latest restorepoints created by the backup job were immediately copied. However, last weekend I discovered that the copy-job was copying backups from the day before, instead of the one just created. I finally figured out what happened. On march 23rd I manually started the backup job to create an additional backup. That night the normal schedule of the backup job ran fine. The copy-job started it's new interval 1 minute after that. However, it started copying the backup I manually created that afternoon. Since the copy job only copies 1 backup per interval, from that moment on, it always copied the restorepoint from the previous night.

I find this a bit dangerous. You would expect that a copy job always copies the newest restore point, but due to the logic of the copy job it apparently can happen that this is not always the case and you will only notice it that you are one day behind if you look closely at the copy job statistics.

Yes, I know that immediate mode would fix this issue, but that's not an option for us. Since immediate mode needs a new backup chain and we are talking about a 7TB dataset here to a remote location, this is practically impossible to do.

Franc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Copyjob one day behind

Post by foggy »

Hi Franc, to avoid this, you can set the backup copy job to "look only forward" with the help of the BackupCopyLookFoward registry value. After that it will wait for the backup job to finish, new restore point to appear and then start processing.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Thanks, will try that setting.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

I made the change, but now I have the issue that when a health check runs and that completes after the backup has finished, the backup copy job waits until the next day to start the copy (when the next backup arrives). So we are still a day behind...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just to clarify - whenever the source job runs health check backup, the secondary backup copy job is put on hold and starts copying backups only on next day, despite being scheduled one minute after the backup job and the fact that the given registry key is added, right?

Thanks!
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Correct! Copy job sits at ‘waiting for new restore point’.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you schedule it one minute before (not after) the source backup starts? Say, backup starts at 17:00, then, schedule backup copy at 16:55? And see whether it makes a difference. Thanks!