Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
albertus77
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Albertus Maritz

File to tape to disk pool then to tape feature request

Post by albertus77 » 1 person likes this post

Hi, current method of backup up to tape whether backup to tape or file to tape is to push the files directly to tape. In the case of backup to tape the file is large and normally at full speed. However file to tape, esp a few million, can take days, so maybe can I ask for the following feature?

My previous backup software had pools, you backup to the pools and once these pools hit a certain threshold that you set, it would push the files to tape. It has the advantage of not keeping a tape drive busy with a slow backup and allows you to run multiple backups. Advantage number two is I wont have a second backup failing/hanging while one job is taking a while, they all push to the pool and I have more success rates than failures. Goes the same when I push my large VM's to tape, i can still keep backing up files while my drives are busy.

I know the vm to tape has the same idea, but I cannot restore a 14TB file server just for one file, also have to restore database sql backup files for audit on a weekly basis vm to tape would make my life more difficult.

Kind regards
Albertus.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File to tape to disk pool then to tape feature request

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Albertus,

Thanks for sharing your feedback! Mind me asking if you run bundled SQL server for your backup server deployment? It's recommend to install a dedicated SQL Server(at least Standard edition) if you want to process more than million files per job. Additionally, I'd like to mention that putting the Veeam database on the ssd disk can significantly increase the performance. Cheers!
albertus77
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Albertus Maritz

Post by albertus77 »

Hi Dmitry,

Yes, I have an dedicated SQL server on fast disks, so no issues there :)

Thanks for the feedback.
Albertus.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Albertus,

Thanks for the update! Mind me asking if you've tested the performance of file to tape jobs? With the mentioned setup throughput should be ok even for a huge amount of files. Cheers!