Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
codot
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Clement ODOT

VEEAM B&R distributed architecture

Post by codot »

Hello people,

I was wondering about a specific point in the architecture of VEEAM B&R when composed of multiple B&R virtual appliance... I've come up with two designs :

Design n°1 :
- one VM with VEEAM Backup and Replication Enterprise Manager and a local SQL Express install
- multiple VM with VEEAM Backup and Replication consoles and a local SQL Express install, reporting to the EM

Design n°2 :
- one VM with VEEAM Backup and Replication Enterprise Manager and a local SQL Standard install
- multiple VM with VEEAM Backup and Replication consoles whose DB are consolidated on multiple instances of the SQL Standard engine of the EM VM, reporting to the EM

I can't find a footnote about the limitations of EM or the backup console with SQL Express in terms of size of virtual infrastructure.

Obviously, the n°1 design is quite resilient because the loss of the EM won't affect the backup jobs running in the multiples B&R consoles however I'm concerned about the performance of the solution when it's scaling out.

On the other hand, the n°2 design is really elegant and optimized in terms of memory consumption an DB design since a single DB engine with multiple instance is much more optimized in terms of resources consumption than multiples little DB engines, right ? However, I suppose that if the EM fail, all the consoles fails.

I would really like to have your opinion on that matter, folks.

Thanks.

Clement ODOT.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VEEAM B&R distributed architecture

Post by foggy »

Clement, I don't really think you need to go with Standard version. Note that Veeam B&R stores minimum of data in its database and SQL Express allows to store up to 4GB (if we are talking about 2005 version which goes with our product). Your first scenario is easier to implement and is reasonable in case of slow links between locations. And one SQL Server is obviously will be a single point of failure, so be sure to protect it properly if you select the second scenario. Also please look at this topic for some considerations regarding SQL deployment scenarios.
codot
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Clement ODOT

Re: VEEAM B&R distributed architecture

Post by codot »

Thank you very much.