btn003
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Bjørn-Tore

Backup Schedule question

Post by btn003 »

Hi -

Using Veeam 5.02.
My backup schedule is incremenal, with syntetic full every Friday, and incremental Monday - Thursday.
I keep 5 restore points so that I can restore a full week if needed.

But in a given scenario where I want to restore data from Wednesday, would I need last week Friday full, and this week Mon - Wed backup ?
Not this week Friday full ?

OR

Would it be easier to have Monday syntetic full and Tue - Friday incremental? Then my 5 restore points would be in the same week.
So if copying the contents of Veeam Backup folder to a tape on Friday evening would have the whole week on it ?

kind r

Bjørn.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Schedule question

Post by foggy »

Bjørn, you need the full backup preceding the required restore point. However, if you perform transformation of full backup chains into rollbacks, then the last full backup is required.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

Hi -

Yes I do perform transformation of full backup chains into rollback, and syntetic full every Friday.
So in my case then, with Monday to Thu incremental and Friday syntetic full stored on a disk, this is good enough to be able to restore any day of that week ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, absolutely.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

ok great -

Just to be sure, I would not need Friday full of previous week as well ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No, you wouldn't.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

ok -

For my own knowlegde, what would happen if I did the syntentic full on Monday and Tue - Fri incrementals.
What would I need to recover any day that week?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you offload to tape after Friday incremental, then to recover to one of the week days, you will need just the offloaded Monday full and all consequent incrementals until that day. Please review the description of backup methods given on p.12 of our User Guide. Thanks.
btn003
Enthusiast

Post by btn003 »

I have read the user guide but Im a litte confused here.

User guide:
When creating a full synthetic backup, Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0 does not address VI to retrieve VM data – it uses the chain of full and incremental backups that are already kept on backup storage. After a full synthetic backup is created, Veeam Backup & Replication will use it as a starting point to create increments.

So if i understand this correct, in my case my Friday after work syntetic full backup wil be generated from the full and incrementals already in backup storage.
No new data is added from VM on Friday? If so, I will only have data from Mon - Thu in my storage for this week? Data from Friday will not be backed up before Monday next week. Is this correct or do I misunderstand completely?

Im just trying to figure out in when In my 5 restore point week schedule it would be best to create the syntetic full (Monday or Friday) so that I have all that week data offloaded to one tape on Friday after Veeam is finished.

Please advice.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Bjørn, please read the previous paragraph (just before the one you've quoted) more carefully. ;)