Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ddubz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek

Proper proxy config over VPN

Post by ddubz »

I've been working through various options to get a proper onsite backup and offsite copy working where I have a limited upload speed from the office site. I am in need of some guidance or confirmation that I am on the right track. My infrastructure is as follows.

Main site:
Two VMWare servers, 5.5TB of total data - local backup is done to a Synology being used as a repository.
Bandwidth is a 10Mb upload

Offsite location:
Synology configured as a repository - it has a connection back to the main site through PPTP VPN.
100Mb up/down connection
Backup Copy job was seeded at the main site, incremental copies worked up until the merges had to occur, those take over 100 hours to complete.

I think a proxy server at the offsite location is needed so all of the merges are processed on the LAN instead of WAN connection. I have configured it and have it ready to go, then I realized there may be something I am missing - since the proxy and the repository are both configured with VPN addresses, the processing would still go over the WAN. I believe setting a route from the proxy to the repository using the LAN IP is the answer, that way all three devices should be able to communicate between each other.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Proper proxy config over VPN

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Derek,
I think a proxy server at the offsite location is needed so all of the merges are processed on the LAN instead of WAN connection.
Sounds good to me. Make sure to have your traffic at offsite location going Synology <-> Proxy <-> WAN link.

Best regards,
Oleg
ddubz
Lurker
Full Name: Derek

Post by ddubz »

The only issue I'm running into now is that the Synology <-> Proxy traffic wants to go over the VPN, then back. I'm not entirely sure if I can properly route it so it uses the LAN link instead of WAN. Does the proxy pass repository data back to the server, or does the server need the direct link to get that information?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Depends on how you expose a repository to your backup infrastructure. Did you add Synology to your VBR console as SMB | NFS share or else?
tahaahmed166
Lurker
Full Name: taha ahmed

Post by tahaahmed166 »

Proxy traffic directing to vpn is little bit tricky, stuck on same issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you tell us what's your current config and how you set up your backup repository in Veeam B&R?