Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Alvaro
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan

Copy jobs for NAS

Post by Alvaro » 1 person likes this post

Hello

I find the new Veeam functionality great for backing up from NAS cabs.

I would like to ask about the possibility of applying copy jobs to backups stored in a NAS repository.

In the documentation I read that it is possible to offload these backups to cloud object storage, but in my case I want to make a copy. In other words, I don't want to offload but rather have a second copy of my NAS in cloud object storage. Is it possible to create copy jobs that copy my data from my NAS to the cloud object storage?

Thank you
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Copy jobs for NAS

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for feedback, Alvaro. "Copy" feature is on track and I have noted your +1 for improvement in future versions!
/Cheers!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Alan,

Could you please clarify, would you like to copy backups of NAS or backups stored on NAS?

Thanks
Alvaro
Service Provider

Post by Alvaro »

I would like to copy backups stored on NAS

My customer uses veeam to backup is data in a NAS. So..I would like to take this backup stored in NAS and copy to cloud object storage.

Thank you
Alvaro
Service Provider

Post by Alvaro »

Although I am thinking of considering the backups stored on the NAS as primary data ... and making a backup with a backup job of that data to cloud object storage.

What do you think about this '' solution '' ?? It would be possible ??

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your feedback. Cloud Connect repository is currently not supported by both primary and secondary backup jobs of nas backup. This functionality is planned but I cant provide any ETA at the moment. Cheers!
Alvaro
Service Provider

Post by Alvaro »

But I have read in this official site that object storage is available to make offload from NAS repository

https://www.veeam.com/blog/v10-nas-backup.html

''But since we we’re focusing on unstructured data backup in our NAS engine, we wanted to ensure the ability to tier off your older file versions onto cheaper storage types such as deduplication devices or Object Storage. This methodology provides the ability to keep a short-term retention for days close to the production data set but then to meet with regulations and retention demands you can leverage the public cloud for a longer-term retention and archival''

I am not going to use cloud connect in this case because this is not a multi tenant architecture.

I have an object storage repository in the cloud...and I would like to have a second copy of my backup files stored in my NAS.
1. Use a copy job..but EGOR say that It is not possible (Maybe in the future versions)
2. Use another backup job to make a backup from the backup files in my NAS to my object storage in cloud.

So..is the second option possible?
Thank you
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Alan,

That article talks about assigning an object storage repository for storing archived versions of the files within the NAS backup job itself. Please, refer here for more info.

Thanks
Alvaro
Service Provider

Post by Alvaro »

I would like to add that the backup files stored in the NAS are not created by Veeam but by Oracle ..so these files are only files .dmp.

Ultimately what I have is just a NAS with files that I want to copy to the cloud object storage..

For that reason I think in the option two.

Thank you
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

I do not see why it's impossible with the currently available capabilities. You may use local storage for short-term retention and utilize object storage for long-term archiving (see above).

Strategically, you might want to even change this approach completely and take a look at backing up Oracle databases directly with Veeam. This will allow you to have more flexibility and just in general, will make the data protection approach a bit more polished while also lowering RTO when it comes to restoring the databases.

Thanks