Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
mdglazerman
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Glazerman

NetApp CIFS Share - Sub-folder recovery

Post by mdglazerman »

Hello,

My first post on the forums... go easy on me !!

We are a new Veeam customer initially deploying on 9.5u4 but with plans to go to v10 shortly. Another team at our company is currently involved in the restoration from NetApp snapshots of a 26TB CIFS sub-folder which was dragged to a different location by an end user. Apparently the movement of a folder of this size down a single level is almost instantaneous on a NetApp array but restoration in reverse has taken 48+ hours so far.

If we had been protecting this folder with the NAS feature in v10, what options would have to assist with the restore ? Could we have leveraged any of the Veeam / NetApp integrations, in conjunction with the file indexing components of v10's NAS capabilities, to quickly revert this sub-folder without also reverting other sub-folders in the same volume ?

My assumption is that this 26TB folder is a sub-folder contained in a larger NetApp volume. If this is the case, I would assume that reverting the entire volume to it's previous state, while fixing the issue for this sub-folder, would also revert the other folders in the volume to the same prior point in time.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: NetApp CIFS Share - Sub-folder recovery

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

There are several options for restore. But if you only want to restore one folder, than the "restore specific files and folders" should be the best option.

Of course, you could also restore the entire share. But that would leave the moved folder in the same place. Veeam does not delete anything while doing a restore.

Best regards,
Hannes