Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
tmjidaho
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas L Moore

Veeam ONE v 10 and non-standard SQL ports

Post by tmjidaho »

Hello,

Has anybody successfully implemented a non-standard SQL port for Veeam ONE v10?
I have an open support case # 04128413 and support is basically telling me to bug-off, it's my own problem.

Veeam ONE uses port 1433 for SQL communication by default (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/d ... ml?ver=100).

Due to the changes made, at this point you are talking about a custom SQL/Infrastructure arrangement that is beyond the scope of what I am able to assist with. As you have confirmed with these latest findings, the problem lies with the communication from Veeam ONE to your SQL infrastructure based on this custom networking arrangement that was implemented.

While I am sure you can get our application to communicate with those resources - the onus will be on your SQL and Administration teams to investigate this further, as we cannot support the custom SQL arrangement directly as this case now requires.

My enterprise has many SQL instances and requires non-standard SQL ports. I have successfully implemented the registry change necessary for a non-standard SQL support in Veeam B&R. I implemented the same registry change recommended by Veeam for Veeam ONE v10 and while I can connect to the DB using the configuration tool Veeam ONE cannot successfully write backup data to the external SQL instance. I can successfully connect and read data from SSMS as well.

Firewall traffic clearly shows Veeam ONE v10 trying to open a SQL connection on the custom port (from the registry entry) AND port 1433. Veeam support has not offered a root cause and is now cutting me off with no further support from them on this topic. I have escalated, and I am now escalating my escalation.

Also, I am aware of the Veeam ONE v10 top ten list and I have re-entered the credentials for both Veeam B&R servers with no success from that action.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam ONE v 10 and non-standard SQL ports

Post by wishr »

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the feedback and I'm sad to hear you got into this situation.

Am I getting it right: you have modified the default database engine communication port on the SQL server instance of VONE and this started causing the issue?

Thanks
tmjidaho
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas L Moore

Post by tmjidaho »

Correct. I needed to move the SQL instance out of the SQL Express hosted on the Veeam ONE server to an external Enterprise SQL due to the SQL Express DB filling up to 10GB. My organization uses non-standard SQL ports to share DB instances from the same physical Enterprise SQL. So they hand me a port that is not 1433. I need VeeamONE to function against an external Enterprise SQL instance on a non-1433 port.

I have implemented the same work-around as noted in the forums for Veeam B&R, that is the registry change on my VeeamONE server. My VeeamONE server can connect to the non-standard port but is not functional. Firewall traffic is shown now to be going to BOTH 1433 and the non-standard port. This is curious... but Veeam support has ended my case now due to the non-standard SQL port. After being very direct with my support resource it seems he has escalated this to a Tier 2. I do not understand Veeam's lack of support for non-standard SQL ports.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Thomas,

Could you please try the following:
1. Remove the registry key you added previously and make sure Veeam ONE now uses only the default port (1433);
2. Launch Veeam ONE Settings Utility;
3. In the Server Name field, specify your SQL connection data in the following format:

Code: Select all

SERVERNAME\DBINSTANCENAME,PORTNUMBER
(or simply append a comma followed by a custom port number (!) without spaces in between to the existing configuration);
4. Test the connectivity using the Test button and make sure everything works as expected.

Please, let us know the outcome. Looking forward to your reply.