Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Erroneous Warning Errors?

Post by jlester »

Case # 04059037

Since the v10 upgrade, one of my backup copy jobs keeps sending a warning e-mail each night. There are no errors or warnings and all VM's are successful. The only odd thing is that these messages are at the top of the e-mail beside the stats:

Code: Select all

Waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability
Waiting for the next task
Waiting for the next task
Support had me remove that copy job's files from the configuration so it would start a new chain last night. We again got the warning e-mail and messages like those above. We have multiple jobs all using the same repositories and proxies, but that's never been an issue before and I thought it was even the recommendation and just let Veeam use them as they become available rather than trying to schedule them at different times. With multiple jobs all running, there will always be some waiting for resources and should be expected. There's still plenty of time in the schedule to complete everything.

Support is now saying to run an Active Full on the backup copy, but didn't removing the config do that already and why would that fix the problem?

Thanks, Jason
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Erroneous Warning Errors?

Post by veremin »

We're not technical support team, so, cannot comment on the recommendations without seeing your environment and debug logs.

That's said I cannot see how running active full backup should solve the problem with backup resource availability. So, you might ask your support engineer to clarify it.

Anyway, keep us posted and ask for additional help (if any is needed).

Thanks!
jlester
Enthusiast

Post by jlester »

I was mainly just wondering if I'm correct that contention for resources shouldn't cause a warning error as long as the jobs all complete?
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

Jason (from another Jason), you should include your case number when you post then Veeam staff can review you question in more detail.

Also, remember you can always escalate your case if you aren't happy with the support you are getting by selecting the "Talk to a Manager" button below your support case.
jlester
Enthusiast

Post by jlester »

The case number is in the first post.
JPMS
Expert
Liked: 31 times

Post by JPMS »

Sorry, I missed it right at the top.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I was mainly just wondering if I'm correct that contention for resources shouldn't cause a warning error as long as the jobs all complete?
Generally, yes, the job should just stay in idle state and wait, till resources are available. So, the described case looks a bit strange, especially, since current configuration has not caused any errors prior to upgrade.

Anyway, please, keep working with our support engineer and let us know about the results of your findings.

Thanks!
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Post by billcouper »

I am also getting the same warning emails since upgrading to v10.

Was there a fix for this? A simple registry key to "Ignore Resource Availability Warnings" would be appreciated.

The way we have designed our multi-tenant hosted VM backups is that each customer has multiple jobs, and all jobs start at the same time each day. Before v10 they would all happily queue for the available resources without reporting any warnings. Now, they still queue and wait for resources as expected, all jobs complete successfully as expected, however with v10 I am bombarded with hundreds of these email messages.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

This looks like a bug to be honest. If support confirms the issue, they will escalate to R&D for fixing in the next update, and they are usually able to provide a hotfix for the current version too. Thanks!
scottf99
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott

Post by scottf99 »

Just want to add that I have these same Errors that mark the job as Failed even though every VM is copied successfully.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Scott, according to the OP's case notes, the messages went away on their own and no further investigation has been performed. I recommend contacting support for a closer look at what happens in your environment.
Kayra
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kayra Ali

Post by Kayra »

Gostev wrote: Mar 24, 2020 11:43 pm This looks like a bug to be honest. If support confirms the issue, they will escalate to R&D for fixing in the next update, and they are usually able to provide a hotfix for the current version too. Thanks!
Hi Gostev,

Any update on this "might-be-bug"? Is there a hotfix yet?
We started using v10 and also get these warnings now. 3 times in the last 2 weeks on several backup copy jobs. All VM's are processed successful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

There are no known bugs with this functionality currently. As stated above, OP asked to close the support case saying ''I haven't made any changes, but we've had no errors the last two nights on the copy jobs. I'm not sure what was causing it or why it went away, but things seem fine for now."
jim3cantos
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: José Ignacio Martín Jiménez

Post by jim3cantos »

Same problem here. May be just opening a case solves the problem! Let's try...Case #04833718
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

We have the same issue, see case #04563282 from last December. We are also getting warning mails with only ‘Waiting for the next task’. Case was closed with status ‘known issue, will be fixed in upcoming versions with no ETA.
jim3cantos
Enthusiast

Post by jim3cantos »

Still waiting here for a final diagnosis. Case has been escalated once...
jim3cantos
Enthusiast

Post by jim3cantos » 1 person likes this post

jim3cantos wrote: May 28, 2021 10:54 am Same problem here. May be just opening a case solves the problem! Let's try...Case #04833718
It seems that backup copy jobs "get confused" when source job starts a merge operation. Solved rescheduling the jobs.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins »

Did this ever get resolved/fixed? I've inherited a system that appears to be doing exactly this. Copy jobs complete successfully every night but almost all of them produce warnings about backup infrastructure resources.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The customer did not want or have time to update to version 11, so we could not confirm whether the update was a resolution to his particular issue. Instead he rescheduled the jobs so copy backup copy intervals start after the source has done its operations. This solved the issue and he closed the case.

Might be worth opening your own ticket, since root cause of the problem might vary.

Thanks!
cmln
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Millian

Post by cmln »

Helllo,
I have a customer on version 11 and the problem is still present.
So if there is a solution, I would like to here it.
Regards
Together we achieve more :D
Regards
Chris
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but with V12, this issue is back again. We get warning mails every now and then with just multiple lines of ‘waiting for next task’ in them. VM processing by itself is fine.

Case # 06225685
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

RnD confirmed this to be an issue with backup copy jobs. They look into it if they can resolve it in a future release. The workaround is to set a schedule exclusion during the timeperiod a synthetic full runs on the source backup job.