Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mlumsden76
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Michael Lumsden

Imported backup from .vbk, map job to backup

Post by mlumsden76 »

I have a full backup file that I can import into Veeam Backup & Replication. This file is 11tb, I would like to create a new job, map the job to the imported backup and continue taking incrementals with the imported file serving as the full backup.

This full backup is recent as of 4/15. Is there a way to map the job, and have the next incremental run containing the changed data since the full backup?

I had a full chain with 7 restore points, but it broke on a merge. I do not have the space to take another full 11tb backup, but plenty of space to keep 30 restore points or more for this server.

I attempted to do this, i tried to map the job but I can not see the backup in the map selector. I do see the full backup under Disk > Imported. This full backup is clean, and I can mount and restore data from it.

alternatively, is there a way to generate a .vbm file from the existing .vbk?

My support case is Case # 04138179
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Imported backup from .vbk, map job to backup

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
in some situations support can create a new VBM file. I remember that this works good with per-job chains, but per-VM chains seem to be not possible in many situations.

So from my side, I recommend to continue with support and see whether it is possible or not.

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

And this is the reason why you do not see the backup as a mapping option - there's no VBM for it (mapping is done via VBM).
mlumsden76
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Michael Lumsden

Post by mlumsden76 »

Thank you Hannes and foggy.

I do have the associated .vbm file. When I import the job from .vbm it says the full backup is 'incomplete', but I can restore data from it fine. I'll continue to work with support. I'd really like to get to the point where I can resume taking incrementals with the full backup as the 'base' of the chain.