Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tdowning
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Downing

create permanent archive of changed files only

Post by tdowning »

Hello. I've read the FAQ and searched the community but haven't found a comparable scenario.

I'd like to have a backup job to backup changed files only to a repository. This would be a permanent archive of all files and versions of files that have ever existed in a particular filesystem.

Previously I've tried creating a backup job with options for a specific specific file system only. I've also disabled CBT in case that was causing an issue. But I am finding that approximately 5-7 backups I get quite a large delta which does not equal the changed files.

Maybe some metadata on the file (last access time) is changing and causing it to be backed up again even though the data is unchanged. I don't know how to determine this. If this is the case, I don't care if the metadata changes. Only the filename and hash of the contents is important to me in deciding whether a file is changed or not.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to achieve this.

Kind regards,
Tim
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: create permanent archive of changed files only

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Tim,
Sounds like you are looking for Veeam NAS Backup feature. It goes with incremental backup, protecting only new\changed files and keeps archive of all file versions that have ever existed on your file server. Check it out!
/Thanks!