Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
timgowen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Gowen

Throttle Confusion

Post by timgowen »

I have a single Veeam server at each of my two sites, managing backup for those respective sites.

I have configured network settings within Veeam to do backup copies with throttling, but for some reason the throttling is effecting backup jobs *and* backup copy jobs.

At the A end, the server Lodestar is on 172.a.b.c
At the B end the server Voyager is on 126.b.b.c

Lodestar has Global Traffic Rules
Internet from any to any, with encryption ticked but no throttiling
Lodestar to Voyager
172.16.a.b.c to 172.b.b.c
Throttled to 175Mbs

Logically it makes sense but the SAS connected drives connected to Lodestar shouldn't be affected by the Network Traffic rules, and yet they are.

The backup copy over the network is chewing 100% of the bandwidth which is not acceptable even at night or weekends.

I'm assuming I'm missing some fairly fundamental configuration of backup copy jobs but I can't work out what is going wrong.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Throttle Confusion

Post by foggy »

Hi Tim, throttling applies to Veeam data mover agents running on the servers with addresses belonging to the specified range. If backup jobs configured on the Lodestar server involve such a connection, it will be throttled.
timgowen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Gowen

Post by timgowen »

Thanks, so I would need a separate server at each end to manage off-site copies of the backups?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You should carefully look at what Veeam B&R components are involved in each type of jobs and see whether you could set the address range in a way that only required connections are subject to throttling rules.