Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pber
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Bernardin

SureBackup across DMZs

Post by pber »

Hi,
I have SureBackup working fine for validating our backups that are in the same zone as the backup server, but I also want to test backups in other zones.

For example:
We have 2 DMZs hosted in an ESX environment. The Veeam server is in DMZ "A" and SureBackup can validate all backups no problem for servers in DMZ "A". Veeam also backs up the servers in DMZ "B", how can I use SureBackup to test the backups in DMZ "B" when my Veeam server in in DMZ "A"? All I need to validate the backup is ping test at minimum.

I've tried building the Virtual lab in DMZ "A" and setting the prod network to DMZ "B", but it complains that network DMZ "B" is isolated unknown, not mapped.
If I build the virtual lab in DMZ "B" is fails right away as I can imagine I need the firewall rules (port 22,2500-3300) so the Veeam server can communicate with the proxy appliance.

Ideally I would prefer to have the appliance in DMZ "A" and just allow pings through the firewall for the test in DMZ "B"

Does anyone do this, and if so, how is it configured?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SureBackup across DMZs

Post by PetrM »

Hi Patrick,

It should work with the appliance deployed in "DMZ A".
You need to configure a network mapping rule at the level of settings of the existing Virtual Lab or in settings of the new one: "DMZ B" - Isolated network.
Isolated network parameters must coincide with parameters of the production one: subnet mask and default gateway, it will be the "same" production network from perspective of VMs running in SureBackup.

Regarding a failed attempt to deploy appliance in "DMZ B": it is difficult to say what is the source of problem without seeing an exact error message, may be you have no routing between backup server network and "DMZ B" zone?

Anyway, I would recommend to contact our support team.
They will look into debug logs and will be able to say what are the reasons of errors received in both cases: when you use properly configured Virtual Lab in "DMZ A" and when you try to deploy an appliance in "DMZ B". Please don't forget to paste case id for our reference.

Thanks!
pber
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Bernardin

Re: SureBackup across DMZs

Post by pber » 1 person likes this post

The appliance in DMZ "A", it has the network mapping rule and the DMZ "B" is configured in the isolated network as per your instructions, but doesn't seem to working. It just complains with an error: Network 1: production DMZ A, isolated unknown, not mapped.

Thanks for the info. Will open a support case.