Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

How best to handle this?

Post by backupquestions »

We are looking at purchasing NAS storage for some VMs which have very large disks. This way the drives in windows are just persistant mapped drives to a letter.

That means that Veeam can not snapshot these disks for backups.

My thoughts are, I have to either use Veeam Agent so that all can be backed up, or I can use the new NAS backup.

The problem with the nas level backup is that it would crazy expensive vs using one agent license to back it all up. It's a little confusing because most people would rely on the agent method as it would be too expensive for NAS backup when you have a lot of data. I mean even say 15-20TB would be crazy money vs just one single agent license.

What are people doing or what are thoughts from Veeam side? I didn't even think about it until today but using NAS storage like this for large disks on VMs presents that issue all over of not being able to snapshot and natively back it up.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How best to handle this?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alabaster,

I'd say agent backup is the best for cases when you have access to the machine's operating system: with volume level backup you will get better performance and incremental backup based on changed-block tracking. Cheers!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Re: How best to handle this?

Post by backupquestions »

Hello Dima and thank you! I will stick with using Agent on the larger VMs with disks that are not persistent.