Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

Feature Requests for next releases

Post by agrob »

Hi

I know Veeam Backup for Azure was just released and, thats Great! Looking forward to test and hopefully use it.
As there are other important workloads in Azure besides VMs, maybe it would be interessting to know from Veeam Users what should be implemented next.

For us as the moment it would be:
1) Azure SQL (SQL Database, Azure DB for Postgre SQL...)
2) Storage Accounts (Fileshare, Blob...)

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Requests for next releases

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

@agrob

Good topic :-). I am looking forward to see the responses of Veeam users for my planning :-). But I will not promise anything :D
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 2 people like this post

Hello

2) can already be done today with V10 NAS backup. Azure Fileshares are SMB shares -> no problem. Azure Blob can be mounted to Windows / Linux -> you can backup the data. If you store important information in metadata, then NAS backup might not cover them.

Best regards,
Hannes
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Hello HannesK
Thanks for the Feedback. I'm aware of this. It is also possible to use azcopy but its all more like a "workarround". A "native Azure solution" would be much more conveniant then mounting to Windows or use azcopy (as we do it at the moment)

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

What would be a "more native" way to backup Azure file shares, comparing to using v10 NAS backup off of an SMB share?
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Good Question Anton... ;) Not sure about that. At the moment i think it would be nice to have all the Azure Backups in the same Product. So the availabilty to backup it also in the "Veeam Backup for Azure" Poruct. Its not only the File Share, its also the Blob. It would be much more conventiant if you not need to mount the blobs to a vm and then backup those mount points, specially if you have several storage accounts with different Blobs. Just connect to the Storage Accounts in the Veeam Backup for Azure Product and then select the blob containers or file shares. I'm pretty sure you guys find a conveniant way as always :) Apart of that, all backups which are taken by Veeam Backup for Azure should easely have the availabilty to copy them to another location with VBR, for example to on prem if you need to put them on Tape. (i know this should be already possible for the vm backups)