Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
twigs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: kiko

Quick migration or Replication

Post by twigs »

Hi!
I'm involing in a datacenter migration, basically I have one vCenter in Datacenter A protected with Veeam and In datacenter B I'll have to install new vCenter, servers and storage. Now the datacenters are communicated through MacroLAN.
I have knowledge of Veeam Replication, I'm using it in Datacenter A, but I don't know about Quick migration.
Reading some information about Quick migration I have doubts if it's a valid solution to implement in this scenario.
Basically, my questions are.
During the migration, the original VM in SITE A is powered on?
If, yes, What would be the final step to operate with CPD B?

I would appreciate any suggestion or recommendation on this migration scenario.

Best regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Quick migration or Replication

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello, you're correct with your doubts. For your scenario, we recommend using replication jobs and the Planned Failover functionality. Thanks!
Wocka
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Warwick Ferguson

Post by Wocka » 3 people like this post

Hello Kiko,

I have done both methods myself and would recommend the Replication method when migrating across a WAN as the changeover is really quick.
I have replicated 12-18 servers in a weekend and the final replication is quick once you stand the servers up on the remote site it's just a matter of checking IP address's etc (especially in linux). The benefit of this is that while your replicating you can also be backing up the remote site in preparation of the go-live. Other wise you would have a large hit (timeframe + data) on remote backup resources.

The Quick Migration method can't be scheduled, so you can't pre-seed the VM's going across. I only use the Quick migration method between hosts on the same subnet, if you don't have them in a vCentre cluster with vMotion. I perform Quick Migration while the VM is powered off just so you know the VM is in a good place, But you don't have to. I also don't delete the source VM on completion. Veeam is helpful in that it renames the original VM as <VM_migrated> so you can tell which servers have moved etc.

Cheers
Warwick
twigs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: kiko

Post by twigs »

Thank you very much for the answers, I would definitely opt for the replication option.