Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jpipx
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Veeam VCSA migration/replication

Post by jpipx »

In production scenarios I've used VMotion to migrate VCSA to other VSphere servers without fail. In my devel Essentials network I don't have that option so I tried both Veeam migration or replication and in both instances the process fails after the B&R v10 software shuts-down the source VCSA VM and then subsequently loses contact to it. Has anyone else run into this and found a work-around? I've seen posts saying that it can be done but none reporting this behavior. Seems to make sense but then how to do this? Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam VCSA migration/replication

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

How did you register your vSphere environment to your Veeam backup server? Is it possible that you added the VCenter? Because during quick migration, we need to run commands against VMware (VCenter or ESXi hosts) and if the VCenter is shutdown, then it's hardly possible to run more commands against it :-)

So the workaround would be to register the ESXi servers directly instead of the VCenter. As for replication, you could also to the failover manually on one of the ESXi hosts. It's "just a VM with snapshots". Don't forget to clean up the workarounds. Double registration can lead to unwanted side effects (licensing issues, failed backups etc. depending on your configuration)

Best regards,
Hannes
jpipx
Novice

Post by jpipx »

Hello Hannes... Yes, I did register VCenter and not the individual hosts. Should I replace VCenter with the hosts or just add the hosts to my Veeam environment? Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hi,
You can try to delete the VCenter...

We built some safety nets into the software - it will prevent from deleting things that are still in use :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
jpipx
Novice

Post by jpipx » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Hannes. I was able to add the two discrete servers in addition to the vcenter being present and it worked. I was able to successfully failover to the replica and then return, worked great.