Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Alvaro
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alan

Gateway server for Cloud Object storage

Post by Alvaro »

Hello

I have a quick question!

I know that for cases in which you cannot install a data mover in the backup destination repository, you need to install the data mover inside a gateway server.
In my case, my destination backup repository is Cloud Object Storage, and it is not clear to me if in addition to having a proxy in production I need a cloud gateway server to communicate with the object storage.

Or is the production proxy just enough?

Thank you
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Gateway server for Cloud Object storage

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

In general when we interact with Object Storage we start one of our datamovers and transport data to object storage.
Today we always store our backups on a regular disk system (block/filer) and then offload to the object storage.
If you use a Windows or Linux Server, then this server is used to offload data. If you use Exagrid/Quantum integration, the storage itself will start the datamover. For CIFS/NFS shares the selected Veeam Gateway Server will work as datamover.

A Cloud Gateway Server is used when the above listed servers don´t have access to the internet. Then you can select one of our Windows Server to act as a gateway between the backup target and the object storage.