Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Evan Schedrov
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Evan Schedrov

Monitoring large vDisks

Post by Evan Schedrov »

Hi there!
I have two questions about VMs and their vDisks.
Creating group with vDisk capacity greater than:
In my case a have few servers with large disks (near 1 Tb). I need to create an override for vDisks,which capacity over 500Gb. I created a dynamic group with that formula ( Object is vDisk AND ( capacity Greater than 500000000 ) AND True ) , then I just need to override for created group thresholds of monitor nworks VMware: VM GuestOS vDisk is low on free space. But after creating group I see that it include vDisks, which capacity is 32 Gb or 64 Gb. I can't find roots of that issue (opsmgr, my formula or nworks)? Who can repro that and share results? :)
Data types of thresholds parametres (monitor nworks VMware: VM GuestOS vDisk is low on free space):
Can I use decimal value like "0,2" or "0.2"?
Thanks for help.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Monitoring large vDisks

Post by Alec King »

Hi Evan,

Apologies for the delay! Our forum email notifications stopped working, so I missed your post.... :roll:

I've never seen your issue before....it could be because 500000000 is such a large number, maybe there is some kind of overflow in the group comparison logic.
(Note - in nworks 5.7, I have changed the Capacity property for vDisk to be in GB, so it is much easier to handle!)

I'll see if I can repro your problem in our lab here.

Meantime, are there any other criteria you can use to create a group of these VMs with large disks? (in the worst case, I guess you could create a static group....)

Cheers
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
Evan Schedrov
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Evan Schedrov

Re: Monitoring large vDisks

Post by Evan Schedrov »

Hi Alec. Thanks for reply!

I think static group isn't elegant solution, because if I create new large disk I need to edit my group :)
I guess in my case with datatypes of attributes. In particular, datatype of "capacity" attribute is string.

Which datatype will you plan to using for capacity attribute? :)

For example, there is two size attributes with various datatypes for Logical Disk object in discovery "Discover Windows Logical Disks" from Windows Server 2008 Operating System (Discovery) management pack.

P.S. And what about datatypes of thresholds parametres (monitor nworks VMware: VM GuestOS vDisk is low on free space)?

Thanks for help