Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Topstar
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Robert Bartels

v10 Nimble Storage rescan fails

Post by Topstar »

My backup with Nimble storage integration AND peer persistance goes completely wrong with version 10.
Seems to me that Veeam B&R tries to create a snapshot on the read only member, wich off course fails.

I created a support call at 27-2 and they are still working to resolve this, and now I am 6 weeks without resolution...
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: B+R V10 BackupJob Secondary Destination to Nimble Snapshot is not application-consistent

Post by wishr »

Hi Robert,

Sad to hear you have faced an issue. Could you please share your support case ID with us?

Thanks
Topstar
Novice

Re: B+R V10 BackupJob Secondary Destination to Nimble Snapshot is not application-consistent

Post by Topstar »

Sure!, case ID 04031330, going back to non snapshot integration isn't an option for us since it is working so well..
fromming
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Fromming

Re: v10 Nimble Storage rescan fails

Post by fromming »

Hi

I seem to have a similar issue with Nimble storage (HF40 and CS3000) rescan. Some VM's fail backup with "Failed to create snapshot for LUN XYZ-XYZ Error: The request requires user authentication. Failed to authenticate" - a second or third manual retry will eventually process the failed VM's.
Also, when rescanning a LUN from Veeam console some LUNS are randomly throwing "Error: The request requires user authentication. Failed to authenticate" - a second rescan solves it....until next time...maybe.
All this started after upgrading to V10.....

I submitted Case # 04119545 yesterday
Topstar
Novice

Post by Topstar » 1 person likes this post

Great, I've got back from Nimble support that hopefully I'll get a patch end this week...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys, right, we have a hotfix for this issue, please contact Veeam support to obtain it. Thanks!
Topstar
Novice

Hotfix is implemented, but the backup still fails.. uploaded the logs and now we wait again.
(call opened at 27-2..)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Robert,

Have you raised a new case? Unfortunately, I can't find anything new in the existing cases.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Seems some environmental stuff takes place in your case, please continue investigating with our engineers.
Topstar
Novice

The wizard in veeam only creates the "snapshot only" rights in de nimble storage arrays. Thats not enough, this should be "Snapshot and volume".
Next to that I had to install the -NimbleNWT-x64.7.0.1.51 (no windows integration just the NCM for iscsi selected)

After this the backup works again.

Also the Nimble screenshots are pretty old.. Not based on the newest GUI.
https://www.veeam.com/nimble-storage-de ... de_wpp.pdf

Hope that someone is helped with this info, my backup is rocking again ;-)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the update. The document was created 4 years ago so UI did indeed change since then, both for Nimble and Veeam B&R. We will take care of updating it.
tgietz
Veeam Software
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Tobias Gietz

Post by tgietz »

Hi,

the Veeam User guide "Systen Requirements" for Storage Integration says that "HPE Nimble synchronous replication is not supported" does it mean that Peer Persistance ist also not supported?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best Regards
Tobias
Topstar
Novice

Post by Topstar »

Yes Peer persistance is NOT supported, had it running for ages and now I'm having problems also.. bit sad...
Topstar
Novice

allright had a chat with Nimble and they say:
Veeam still supports Nimble backup where sync replication is enabled. The only thing not supported is Veeam volume replication as it is not compatible. Standard backup jobs without replication should work just fine.

I just did some tweaking and got it working again.. NOT because of the veeam support..
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

Can you detail the 'tweaking' you did please? In some similar situation of sorts.
Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, since Peer Persistence is built on top of the synchronous replication functionality, it is not supported either.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Topstar wrote: Aug 18, 2020 9:47 am allright had a chat with Nimble and they say:
Veeam still supports Nimble backup where sync replication is enabled. The only thing not supported is Veeam volume replication as it is not compatible. Standard backup jobs without replication should work just fine.
We cannot confirm that officially though, we're yet to get the lab with synchronous replication working to comprehensively test all the scenarios. Until that, configurations with sync replication enabled are not supported as even production datastore disconnects are possible.
Topstar
Novice

Post by Topstar »

Working with it for a year now since peer persistance came out, and it works allright... but don't expect support from veeam ;-)
Hnns
Novice
Full Name: Henry Nevans

Post by Hnns »

foggy wrote: Working with it for a year now since peer persistance came out, and it works allright... but don't expect support from veeam ;-)
Hi foggy, could you please expand a bit on how you got things working in your environment? We're in the same boat with syncrep volumes (with local recovery points every few hours), rescans are failing and causing datastore path disconnects on the ESXi hosts. Are you saying you don't experience these issues and are able to backup with storage integration?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, somehow you've attributed Robert's words to me, so I cannot answer your question directly. I can only repeat that currently, Veeam B&R doesn't support synchronous replication.
Hnns
Novice
Full Name: Henry Nevans

Post by Hnns »

Hmm, not sure how that happened, sorry for that! Let me requote Topstar, might give him a notification ;)
Topstar wrote: Aug 18, 2020 12:27 pm Working with it for a year now since peer persistance came out, and it works allright... but don't expect support from veeam ;-)
Topstar
Novice

Post by Topstar »

Found out that is all about the iscsi connector once I changed some settings there veeam came alive...
But it is a while ago don't know which setting it was ;-)
But I'm happy to share my setup, send me a PM