Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eduzimrs
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Eduardo Scheffer

Move ReFS backup files to XFS

Post by eduzimrs » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,

Is there anyway to move the backup files sitting on a ReFS with fast cloning repository (SOBR) to a new XFS and
continuing leveraging fast cloning capabilities? I'm a VCSP and would like to make this transition in order
to save some Windows Licences, and make it the most transparent to the tenants (without new FULLs if possible)
Thanks.
--
Best Regards.
Eduardo K. Scheffer - SE
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Move ReFS backup files to XFS

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

Please note that performing the actual move will "inflate" all backup files as you're reading them from ReFS, and so they will land "inflated" on your XFS volume (there's no way around this). At this point, you can update your tenant jobs to point them to the new repository, and tenant jobs will continue normally. And they should automatically start using block cloning after the next synthetic or active full backup.

The only way to "deflate" the moved files that I am aware of is to use duperemove utility. But this is not a Veeam tool, so we won't be able to advice or support you with any issues involving its usage.

If you have enough disk space, you may as well just let the retention policy clean up those "inflated" backup files normally, without worrying about deflating them with duperemove.

Thanks!
eduzimrs
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Eduardo Scheffer

Re: Move ReFS backup files to XFS

Post by eduzimrs »

Thanks for the very short reply.
I'll do that let the retention do its job.

Appreciate!
--
Best Regards.
Eduardo K. Scheffer - SE