Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Exclude VM's from job

Post by xmzmc »

Hi,

We're using Veeam Enterprise Edition. I have a specific job with a couple of vSphere VM's and in that specific job I need to exclude some VM's of that job for the next couple of weeks while not deleting them from the backup.
I found Job settings > Virtual Machines > Exclusions > Add VM's to exclude but whenever I add VM's to exclude and press add, the specific VM's don't get added to the exclusion list. The exclusion list is visible after you've pressed 'add' but my just added excluded VM's aren't listed there. I tried restarting Veeam, re-adding VM's to exclusions but nothing helps. How do I fix this?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Exclude VM's from job

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 2 people like this post

Greetings!
If VM name is explicitly defined in the list of included into job VMs, you cannot also put it under Excluded - that's most likely the reason why upon clicking "Add' you see empty list. It works if you have included a container(say, Resource Pool or Datastore) and then define exclusion of a VM from it. To solve your case, remove VM from the protected list(Virtual Machines step of Backup Job properties) and on Storage-Advanced-Maintenance tab, define correct "Remove deleted items after:" period.
/Cheers!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Keep in mind that in case the VM is re-registered in virtual infrastructure before being added back to the job, it will be treated by Veeam B&R as a new one.
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by xmzmc »

Sorry for the delayed response. This clarifies things. Thanks both for your reponse.