Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DVelez
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daniel Velez

Veeam 10 / Backup Copy to Azure Blob

Post by DVelez »

Hi,
We want to make a backup copy to an Azure Blob. I added an Object Storage Backup Repository that connects to the Azure Blob container, but is not listed in the Backup Copy Job wizard. Do I need to do something else to make it available in to the backup copy job?

Thanks...
DV
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Veeam 10 / Backup Copy to Azure Blob

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,

You cannot backup directly to Object storage as a standalone repository neither with Backup job, nor with Backup Copy.
Nonetheless, you can copy backups to the cloud as soon as they are created if object storage
is presented as a Capacity extent of a target Scale-out backup repository. Backups will be copied there from Performance tier.
So, you need to target backup copy job to a SOBR and enable aforementioned option.
Check this configuration guide.

Thanks,
Oleg
Exrace
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Exrace

Post by Exrace »

I have this working on a setup I work on (Capacity Tier using Azure) but would like to drop the full sized copy from the performance tier to free up space and archive the copy in azure for a year or so. I have the backups now in Azure (last full backup of a chain).

I was hoping I would only need a pointer file in the performance tier after the copy... like the GFS backups do when the backups age off.
How can I achieve this with the instant copy?
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@DVelez if you are looking to move older backup chains to the object storage backed Capacity Tier the Move Mode will help you achieve this. This is where you can find the explanation and instruction on how you can move inactive backup chains to object storage https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Hi Ken. I've merged your post into the existing topic. Please see the answers above. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is the recommended approach. Think of these multiple SOBR as your data management policies (Gold/Silver/Bronze). Needless to say, there separate new repos can leverage the same physical hardware as your existing ones. Thanks!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

So what exactly is the "new" capability in VBR 10 where one supposedly has the option to to add object storage as a secondary destination when configuring back jobs using the wizard?
That's Copy Policy you're talking about. It is managed on Capacity Tier level.
Ransomware Protection and Simplified Data Management section in our What's New document also has the info you're after.
clo101
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hussain Munir

Post by clo101 »

Im also having the same issue.

I have a lots of "Backup Copy Jobs" with GFS that need to be moved to Blob for archiving purposes. Is there an option for this?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

So how may I configure a just one backup job to copy backups to object storage?
Since copy policy is configured in SOBR settings and currently there is no way to backup directly to object storage, the solution would be to create a separate SOBR for such job. Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

@clo101 : please see the answer above... for move there is an extra checkbox post369970.html#p361693 in this part of the wizard