Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Do AD user restores also restore the attached Exchange mailbox?

Post by pshute »

I recently had a case where a shared Exchange mailbox vanished, and appeared in the disconnected mailboxes list. The AD user had also disappeared, so I assumed someone had deleted it.

I restored the AD user from Veeam with the MS AD object Restore, and when I went back to the disconnected mailbox list, it was gone from there - it was already connected. Just wondering what happened.

When I restore an AD user, does it also restore the associated mailbox? Or automatically connect it to an existing disconnected one? Or did Exchange reconnect it itself?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Do AD user restores also restore the attached Exchange mailbox?

Post by Mildur »

Veeam connects automatically to a disconnected mailbox (if there is any left in the mailbox database) with the mailbox guid, which is find on the backuped user.

Veeam will not restore the mailbox. Only connect to deleted mailboxes. Because, if you restore the user, all Exchange attributes are restored too. Exchange Server will see the attributes with the mailbox guid und Exchange HomeServer and mailbox is automatically reconnected to this user.

Microsoft Exchange will remove deleted mailboxes after 30 days. Until then, veeam can reconnect the mailbox with the restored user
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Re: Do AD user restores also restore the attached Exchange mailbox?

Post by pshute »

OK, thanks. That's what I was hoping had happened.