Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
thjor
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Monitoring backup infrastructure

Post by thjor »

We are trying out Veeam One for monitoring our backup infrastructure and came found some issues we can't find any answers to in the documentation or in this forum.

Our VBR servers are joined to a domain but our repository storage servers is not and therefore Veeam One can't get performance data from them.
Is it possible somehow to specify credentials to use on those servers manually?

We have a large VMM cluster added to Veeam and therefore they all get added as VM proxies in Veeam One because they are used as on-host proxies.
Is it possible to disable connection (not just exclude them) to those servers so Veeam One doesn't try to connect to them?
Our datacenter team isn't happy about seeing a lot of login failures on over 100+ hosts and we don't want to monitor them.

How is the license counted when we only use it for backup infrastructure monitoring?
Does it count every VM in every job? And is it possible to exclude jobs/vm's from being monitored so it won't consume a license?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Monitoring backup infrastructure

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,

1) You can right-click on repository in Veeam ONE Data Protection View and Connection Settings there.

2) If you don't want Veeam ONE to connect to SCVMM, you can add HV hosts and clusters independently.

3) Yes, it counts for every protected VM. You cannot exclude particular jobs or VMs from backup infrastructure monitoring.

Thanks
thjor
Service Provider

Post by thjor »

Hi Nikita

Thanks for your answers.

1) I also noticed that after my posting.

2)
I think you misunderstand me. In our VBR server we have connected to our VMM there and not in Veeam One.
That means that Veeam One will include all our VMM hosts as "VM Proxies" because they are used as "on-host" proxies in VBR.
Is it possible to let Veeam One know that it shouldn't try to connect to those servers. To me it seems like it still tries to connect even if you exclude the hosts (i see connection failures in the log files).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hey thjor! There is no way to exclude particular backup components from monitoring. Veeam ONE cannot guarantee a healthy status for the backup infrastructure without "seeing" the health state of the entire infrastructure. Thanks!
thjor
Service Provider

Post by thjor »

Hi Vitaliy,

I see that but since we got another team monitoring or hypervisors we want to exclude them in Veeam One, at least exclude the performance monitoring of them.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I see, but for now, there is no way to exclude particular backup components from monitoring. Thanks for the feedback, anyway!