Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Snapshot chain buildup VCSA Backup

Post by unsichtbarre »

Veeam Case # 04138226

It all starts when VCSA 6.7 backups fail with the message: Processing VCSA01 Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

This happens when there are no known or observable network issues and is most likely being caused by (known) SAN latency and long stun times on the VCSA itself. I'm not the SAN admin, and so can't improve storage latency at periods of time, but the occasional failure is not what I am worried about.

The real problem is that as soon as the first failure happens, each successive backup (even if successful) will begin to build a chain of snapshots, one on top of the other, until we reach the vSphere limit of 32 snapshots!!! I remember this problem from the ol'-days of 6.X-8.X, but I thought that this issue was fixed?

For the most part this only happens on VCSA 6.7, but I have has one MS SQL Server do the same thing.

THX
-J
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Snapshot chain buildup VCSA Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that's not a general issue with the software. So it is hard to say whether you run into something that should be fixed by Snapshot hunter...

I can only recommend to continue with support to find out the root cause of the issue.

Best regards,
Hannes
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Re: Snapshot chain buildup VCSA Backup

Post by unsichtbarre »

I continue with support. As we are a Veeam provider, we have the opportunity to see this on several environments at once.

A trigger seems to be the vCenter Server 6.7 Update 3f | APR 9 2020 | ISO Build 15976714 updates. It must also be in conjunction with slow-ish storage.

There may be people out there who ore gradually (or rapidly) building up snapshots and not even realize it.
THX
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com