Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brunoveldeman
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Bruno Veldeman

Backup Copy Job / Subject change to include source job

Post by brunoveldeman »

Since we updated some of our customers to Veeam Backup & Replication 10.0.0.4461 I noticed a change that was I not expecting.

The subject and message content for Backup Copy Jobs has been changed, causing our automatic reporting tool to match backups to the wrong job, or not machting at all.

The old message was in the following format:

Code: Select all

Subject : [Success] AP01 - Off-site CC (1 objects) 
Message : Backup Copy job: AP01 - Off-site CC 	Success 1 of 1 VMs processed 
The new message changed to:

Subject :[Success] AP01 - Off-site CC\AP01 - Local (1 objects) 
Message : Backup Copy job: AP01 - Off-site CC\AP01 - Local Success 1 of 1 VMs processed 
This causes some of our backup messages to be parsed wrong.
The notification settings do not reflect this change: [%JobResult%] %JobName% (%ObjectCount% objects) %Issues%
The report from the Backup & Replication console is not changed:

Backup Copy job: AP01 - Off-site CC 
We process all our backup messages and we create a report several times a day with the backup results, we found this to be the only reliable way to follow up on around 500 jobs we follow up on daily.
If the name of the Backup Job also appears in the Backup Copy Job, these jobs cannot be parsed an have to be checked by hand, looking up the mail. Before I start changing al the parsing rules to match the new subject format, I wanted to know if somebody else has noticed this change.

I could not find a reference to this change anywhere, nor a place to set the message like it was before.
My question? How can I configure the Backup Copy Job subject and message.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Bruno Veldeman
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Copy Job / Subject change to include source job

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bruno,

Can you please clarify how the mentioned backup copy is configured (immediate / periodic copy or that is a backup copy for StoreOnce repository)? Thank you in advance!
brunoveldeman
Novice

Post by brunoveldeman »

The "Backup Job" is on local storage and the "Backup Copy Job" is on a Cloud Connect service provider. This first is daily, the second is continuous. We are the managing the backups for the customer, and we manage the Cloud Connect also.

Update: Backup Copy Jobs to Cloud Connect with an Agent Backup as source also have the name of both jobs in the subject.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Bruno,

Thanks for the provided details. Checking this behavior with RnD folks, stay tuned.
brunoveldeman
Novice

Post by brunoveldeman »

Update: The Agent Backup job mail reports from the Windows agents and Linux agents also slightly differ.

Linux: Subject: [Success] router Router - Local (1 objects) Body: Agent Backup job: router Router - Local
Here the machine name is "router" and the name of the job is "Router - Local"

Windows: [Success] WIN10 - Local (1 objects) Body: Agent Backup job: WIN10 - Local
Here the machine name is "win10" and the job name is "WIN10 - Local"
The machine name is not in the subject or in the body header, which is more consistent with other mail reports

Versions used:
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.2.1170
Veeam Agent for Linux 4.0.0.1961
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Bruno.

To be on the same track: with the release of v10, Backup Copy Job has 2 operating modes: original "vanilla" Periodic Copy mode and new Immediate Copy mode.

- Email notifications from Periodic Copy mode did not change a bit, and if you see some changes there, that most likely a bug and shall be worked out with support.

- Different subject field format email notifications are coming from new v10 Backup Copy Immediate mode because we simply mirror backups as they appear, unlike Periodic Copy where we know exact sync interval. For example, with Immediate copy we can find new backups at 12.00, 13.45, 15.39, 17.43 and if we send you "usual" subject line for each session(with just Backup Copy Job name), there will be no way to distinguish what was processed and what was not, because mirroring sessions pick whatever comes from source jobs and you will see X emails with identical subject [Backup Copy finished] a day. For that reason we add Source Job Name into the Subject - with it you can clearly see which job was synced to 2nd location from Subject field.

I do agree with you that current email template does not fit the output for Backup Copy Immediate Mode, which is a bit confusing. We will see if that behavior can be improved in future versions, but for now, you will have to edit your email parsing rules.

Thanks for valuable feedback, it makes our products better!
brunoveldeman
Novice

Post by brunoveldeman » 1 person likes this post

I will look into the Backup Copy modes.

Thank you.
brunoveldeman
Novice

Post by brunoveldeman »

Upgrading from a previous version automatically converted the setting from version 9.5 to version 10 Periodic copy mode.
The mails I was receiving are from a job with Immediate copy mode, that clears out all the confusion. I did not setup these jobs, I only receive and process the mails.
These 2 copy modes are a great feature, now we can choose which copy should start first with the Periodic copy mode.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for updating the thread and I am glad you liked new copy mode options! :D
/Cheers!