PowerShell script exchange
lbasic
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lazo

Report on Backup Jobs and More

Post by lbasic » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

We are new to B&R and also have our own Ent Man. We individual job notifications reporting status as either warning, failed or success. The notifications come in as and when the job completes. Rather then having to receive 100's of individual emails is it possible to receive a consolidated backup report after last job completes or even better to be bale to run an ad hock report. The tools we have available for this is of course Power shell and Power BI but Im not sure if we need to go as deep as Power BI.

Thanks,

Lazo
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Re: Report on Backup Jobs and More

Post by jhoughes »

First, be sure to enable the daily job notifications within Enterprise Manager to receive an daily overview email, which contains the number of jobs that have each status.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

My simple suggestion, to focus the email notifications of each job a bit more, use email filtering (simple filter on subject line) to move the Success status emails to a folder.

This allows to receive and Warning and Error status emails to easily take action from the inbox, while the Success emails were moved to a folder where someone could review if needed.

I have done this when I was on the customer side, along with my current lab environments, and it works easily while allowing each user to choose their own preferences.

We can assist with PowerShell for more advanced needs, but this should accomplish your current goals with minimal effort.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard

Post by jhoughes »

I forgot to mention, but you have the job statistics page with Enterprise Manager available to you as well. This page has an export function that may meet your current "ad-hoc report" needs without needing to write code.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

This will also show details for all B&R servers which are managed by the Enterprise Manager instance.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
lbasic
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Lazo

Post by lbasic »

Thank you, what I was really looking for was something that I have found in here;

https://blog.smasterson.com/2017/12/22/ ... ort-9-5-3/

http://jasonclarke.org/MVR951.html
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard

Post by jhoughes »

Great, those are good resources.

Please be aware that MyVeeamReport script that you found was written for older versions on B&R, and it does not report on new features added since then.

It will be missing yet more components soon, now that v10 hit RTM yesterday and will be released before long.

There are plans to create a new version of a reporting script like this targeting v10, since the MVR is now over 2 years old, but we needed to put it on hold for other tasks. Hopefully we can get some early versions released in the near future.
cookiejc
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: J Cook

Post by cookiejc »

I love Veeam but I am surprised at the lack of email reporting capability with it now being a mature product. My senior management want a daily report listing all jobs and their status in one email. Some detail on warnings / errors would be a bonus. The Enterprise manager just doesn't provide enough information in its email report, reporting directly from backup replication itself sending notifications per job is too much for this target audience.

Has anyone found a script to achieve this?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,

Our forum abounds with various powershell reports including ones sent via email. Just use search :wink:. You can start by checking the script mentioned in this post.

Thanks,
Oleg
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

I did try that one but it is unfortunately geared towards VMware where we are a Hyper-V/VMM estate
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The approach should be universal for both platforms and cmdlets vary only in prefixes (VI - for VMware; HV - for Hyper-V). Thanks!
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Thank you for getting back to me, I hadn't noticed your reply. I will see if the myreport script can be modified to work with Hyper-V. To be honest this doesn't really address the core issue, there is a lack of reporting in Veeam Backup and Replication. I will look to raise a feature request via our account manager. With our organisation having various Enterprise licenses at considerable cost, it is hard to explain to the bill payers that we can't provide them with easy to generate reports on the backup state

I do still love Veeam tho :-)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you specify what exact capabilities Veeam Backup and Replication misses, just so we understand your concern better? Thanks!
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, at a very basic level, scheduled management reporting in a single report listing the state of all jobs and a description / detail for any jobs in a warning or failed state. For example, the enterprise manager email report sent daily to our Operations Manager and CTO simply contains the following:

Summary of last sessions for all jobs:
1 Errors, 2 Warnings, 17 Successes

Of the jobs in an error or warning state, How is a decision maker supposed to easily glean whether there is 1 VM in the job with an issue or every VM in that job?

At a more advanced level, the ability to compare virtual machines which are configured for backup vs the actual backup state, almost an RPO monitor to compare VMs in Hyper-V with restore points in Veeam. This may be where scripts like the My Veeam Report become useful however this script is out of date, not targeted at Hyper-V and provides functionality we would expect natively anyway.

I don't want this to come across as a moan as i'm a big advocate of Veeam but to me the above appears a fairly basic requirement unless i'm missing a way to achieve this today? - Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

Let me quickly chime in here.

It seems like what you're asking is available in Veeam Availability Suite (VAS). Do you possibly own this product or you have just Veeam B&R? If you have VAS, then you can start using our predefined reports or even create your own ones via our report configurator.

If you don't have VAS, then just give Veeam ONE a trial (part of VAS) and check out if the reports you need are there. If there is something missing, let's discuss it, so we could implement your FRs in our next updates of Veeam ONE.

Thanks!
cookiejc
Enthusiast

Post by cookiejc »

Hi, Vitaliy, No we currently have around 150 sockets of Veeam B&R Enterprise not VAS. I guess I was just hoping the reporting within B&R Enterprise alone would be more "Enterprise level". I can feed back that a change in product / SKU would be required to achieve this and that can be weighed up at the next review of the backup solution

Many thanks, James
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

James,

Yes, if we are talking about reporting and monitoring capabilities for backup, then Veeam Availability Suite is required. As far as I know, there is a dedicated upgrade SKU from backup to suite (cheaper compared to buying VAS SKU standalone).

Thanks!
ithelpdeskboroo
Lurker

Post by ithelpdeskboroo »

Hello friends, I am new in this world of veeam, you could tell me the code to export to a csv the detail of my works(VM,File server,windows,etc) to detail date programming , repository , size backup , ultima backup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Please take a look at some report samples over here, should be useful.

Thanks!