Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
pbenson
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Benson

Application Discovery & Dependency Mapping

Post by pbenson »

Hello all! First post to the forums here, but I've been lurking for a while. Always helpful stuff posted here!

I am hoping to trigger some ideas here. Maybe this will lead to a new feature, or some alliance with another product that compliments Veeam ONE or maybe it just turns into techies talking tech. Whatever the result I'm sure I'll learn something new from the responses.

I would love to see Veeam ONE have built-in Application Discovery & Dependency Mapping. Now I know that is a tall order, but just imagine how much more amazing Veeam ONE would be if it could provide this type of functionality! To have all of what Veeam ONE already provides, and to then click on a monitored VM and see what it depends upon and what depends upon it would make planning and architecture of solutions much easier.

I'm a Sr. Solutions Architect for Business Continuity (BC) for a Veeam partner, and I'm a CBCI (certified member of the Business Continuity Institute). Backups, recovery, DR and much more are all a part of BC. Most people expect me to be focused on just getting a backup solution in place, or to workout a DR run book that focuses only on the technical parts of DR. That isn't the case at all though. I spend the majority of my time focused on learning what are the objectives of an organization, what products or services it delivers, what are the processes to deliver those products and services and then what are the activities that those processes are built upon. I then tie all of that back to the IT infrastructure and help make the culture aware of how all of the pieces work together so that we can then identify single points of failure, vulnerabilities and potential inefficiencies. Once all of that work is done, well the technical stuff is actually pretty easy (if you are using the right products like Veeam, that is).

So if I could use Veeam ONE for both monitoring and reporting plus ADDM it would raise the value of Veeam ONE to a whole new level. If Veeam ONE somehow integrated with another solution that does ADDM that would be less ideal, but appealing still. Maybe some type of integration with an opensource solution, an nmap plugin, etc. could be done? As I wrote earlier in this post, I am hoping that this triggers some ideas. This is probably a huge undertaking, but I hope that by sharing this idea and bringing it to other's attention that the Veeam folks are inspired. Will it result in what I want? Maybe, maybe not. But for the price of a forum post it might just get us all something even better. :)

Looking forward to what others have to say! Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Application Discovery & Dependency Mapping

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Patrick and welcome to the community!
Thanks for the comprehensive post.
Applications dependency mapping is not something we are working right now, but we do have the idea in our backlog.
Could you specify the applications you are using for the Application Discovery & Dependency Mapping?
Regards
pbenson
Veeam Software

Post by pbenson »

I'm happy to share that information with you. RISC Networks, acquired by Flexera in June of 2019, is one of the tools that comes to mind. CloudPhysics has also introduced an ADDM capability. Here are some links:

https://www.flexera.com/products/insigh ... ation.html
https://www.cloudphysics.com/

It is good to know that it is on the backlog. I hope one day it makes it into the product. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the links and feedback, Patrick!
Is there your favorite feature you would like to have the most? So we know what to start from :)
pbenson
Veeam Software

Post by pbenson » 1 person likes this post

Definitely the mapping is what I'm the most interested in, so I guess that would be my favorite feature. Being able to show a client how their applications have tiers and common dependencies helps when planning for disaster recovery.