Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

How to remove an offloaded VM from Object Storage/Capacity Tier?

Post by wa15 »

We have GFS configured on a backup copy job writing to a capacity tier in Azure for a 7 year retention.

I want to remove ALL all restore points of an INDIVIDUAL VM from performance tier AND from capacity tier. Does it matter if I do that from the Disk (copy) menu and select remove archives or if I do it from the Object Storage menu and select Remove GFS Full Backups? We have per-VM backup files configured on this SOBR's performance tier. By the way, why is it that when Deleting From Disk a VM from Object Storage, the checkbox to remove GFS full backups is also there? All backups in object storage are GFS full backups anyway?

Running V10 and I think the Object Storage menu is new. I am assuming it doesn't matter but since this is our long-term archives, I want to make sure I don't mess things up or accidentally remove all VMs in this job.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How to remove an offloaded VM from Object Storage/Capacity Tier?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I assume that you have per-VM backup chains (with per job backup chains, you wait until retention expires)

No, it does not matter. The UI will tell you that it will delete from both locations.
All backups in object storage are GFS full backups anyway?
that depends on the configuration. Since V10, with copy mode there can also be incremental backups in object storage.

Best regards,
Hannes