Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Sanity Check on process

Post by Rumple »

We have 6 sites where they have 2 independent ESX hosts with local storage only. Currently I have on ESX1 the production VM and on ESX2..as expected the replica.
Obviously failover to the secondary (say when we need to patch the ESX01 host) is simple..we do the permanent failover, patch the host.
The problem is I then need to redo the Replication job to go from replica back to Primary (and optionally the backup if I needed to stay on the Replica for any length of time), do the failover again and then re-edit the job the 3rd time to resetup the reverse replication again.

Is there a better way to do this that I just haven't realized?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Sanity Check on process

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Mark.
Don't do Permanent failover? You can run Failover, patch the source host, then run Failback.
That should do the trick.
/Cheers!
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

I always though fail back just reverted the changes that were made on the replica during the failover and then powered on the original source.

Unfortunately this is a live monitoring system so I can't lose any of the data gathered during the time I am failed over.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Undo Failover reverts changes back(deletes changes on replica VM, shuts down replica VM), whereas Failback process preserves everything changed on replica and transfers it back to source. Note, that after Failback, you also need to Commit Failback to set source Esxi as permanent machine home.
/Thanks!