Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: -

version 10 licensing instances?

Post by 33minutesinheaven »

Hey so weird issue. I went to upgrade my veeamone instance which is veeamone 9.5 update 4

I upgraded successfully to version 10. I selected community license, which veeam9.5 was using fine.

upon logging into the console, i get a message "your license limit has been exceeded". Weird, i think, because i dont remember ever needing to license veeamone before...

So i look in the license details and it reports (sucks i cant put an image here...):
Used licenses: 101 of 10
virtual machines 109 of 109

Firstly, i dont have 109 virtual machines.. more like half that. So i look up the error and sure enough it seems that veeamone is a licensed product. huh?? i went to a lunch and learn with veeam about two years ago where they said that veeamone was free.

Nothing about it adds up, so i restore to backup from yesterday. There is no licensing error. So i go look in licensing and see:

Used Licenses: 0.00 of 10
Virtual Machines: 54 of 54

what the heck is going on here man? What am i licensing, esxi HOSTS? i have 4 hosts in one cluster. 54 vms seems like the right amount. Can someone explain what i am doing wrong? why was it zero before, but now it says i need 101 licenses...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: version 10 licensing instances?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Do you have any Veeam B&R servers registered with Veeam ONE Community Edition?

Thanks!
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast

Im not sure what you mean. We are licensed for veeam backup and replication and yes of course we use it to backup the environment. Otherwise why would i need veeam one? doesnt make sense.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well, let me try to clarify it. Veeam ONE Community Edition does not have any limitations for the number of monitored VMs in the virtual infrastructure, however, it does have a limitation of monitoring 10 workloads (for example, Agents, VMs, NAS jobs etc) from Veeam B&R.

So, if you're backing up 54 VMs within Veeam B&R standalone, then you will see a message that your Veeam ONE built-in license is exceeded. If you need to monitor and report on your entire Veeam B&R infrastructure, then you need to upgrade to the Veeam Availability Suite license.

What kind of license do you have installed in Veeam B&R? Is it sockets or instances?
33minutesinheaven
Enthusiast

I have 13 backup, file copy and backup copy jobs under "jobs" in veeam backup and replication console. This has not changed between versions. if that is what you mean by workloads. Multiple VMs are backed up by each job, of course.

License on veeam B&R 9.5 is perpetual - standard - 12 sockets (8 used), 6 instances (0 used)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok! In the previous version, there was also a limitation for 10 instances, and I'm not sure why you didn't have this message generated. Veeam ONE Community Edition allows monitoring and reporting on 10 VMs protected by Veeam B&R.