Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tsukraw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tucker Sukraw

Restore to Azure - Storage Account Type Not Supported

Post by tsukraw »

Hey guys,

We are testing restoring VMs form VMware environment directly to Azure.
The process seems fairly straight forward. Though we are running into a issue.
Wondering if anyone else has ran into this.

The restore appears to upload the backup data, we see it run the conversion to vhd.
But on the Creating Azure VM it always fails with
Restore job failed Error: Provisioning state is 'failed': StorageAccountTypeNotSupported

Storage accounts in Azure dont seem to have that many options. We have a Storage Account V2 - Hot.
We tried moving to a different region in our test environment but same results.

Any ideas?

On a side note, it would be nice if Veeam could some out do a test to see if the environment is going to work before the restore runs. Takes a while to run the the actual data upload only to see it crash out at the tail end :)

Support Case#04163221
Tucker Sukraw
Network Architect
West Central Technology
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore to Azure - Storage Account Type Not Supported

Post by veremin »

Seems like general Azure error, but let's wait and see what support engineer says about this problem, once he checks the debug logs. Thanks1
tsukraw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tucker Sukraw

Post by tsukraw »

Figured it out, or a way to make it work. I am not overly skilled in azure yet, so could by my lack of understanding.

The storage account was in one resource group, but in Veeam I had the VM being restored to a different resource group (but in the same US Central location). As soon as i restored the VM to the same resource group as where the storage account was it worked.

Is this an expected behavior? If so why does Veeam give you the option to pick a different resource group from the storage?
Tucker Sukraw
Network Architect
West Central Technology
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi @tsukraw

It is a lesser used scenario, but it is possible to have resources spread over different resource groups. However, depending on settings and such, it might not work (as you have seen). What exactly caused the error I am not sure off. Looking at the error we received from Azure, I am not sure where the mismatch is in your Azure environment (see here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... r-messages)