Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
janschulenburg
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jan Schulenburg

SAP HANA pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts

Post by janschulenburg »

Hi,

First of all; I'm a noob on SAP HANA and barely can create backups and restores.. I'm running SAP HANA on virtual SLES 15 for SAP Applications VM's and I'm possible to use the Veeam SAP HANA Backint plugin to create backups and do restores. But wouldn't it be possible to use just Veeam Backup & Replication to backup the VM itself in a consistent state using these scripts: https://www.veeam.com/blog/optimize-bac ... ckint.html.

I've tried to implement them on Veeam B&R server using the root account for the SLES server but that doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody have this working and can assist me in getting this working?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: SAP HANA pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Jan,
Local team will contact you soon to assist!
/Cheers!
janschulenburg
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jan Schulenburg

Post by janschulenburg »

As addition to this post I've got a question who is maintaining the pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts? The scripts do work fine but what I see is that snapshots for the systemdb are removed (triggered by the ) but snapshots for the production data aren't?
StefanZ
Veteran
Liked: 98 times
Full Name: Stefan Zimmermann

Post by StefanZ »

Hi Jan,

yes, you can use the pre- and post-scripts from Github to have a consistent VM backup. However with a snapshot backup you get not database validation which you get when running backint. For productive environments we recommend to combine these functionalities.

As you've not mentioned what kind of error you encounter on SLES15 maybe check the following two things because I've seen these before:

- Is the script properly executed? As it's copied from the VBR server we've seen issues with end of line (eol) conversions between Linux and Windows formats. If you have \r\n line endings in the file it won't be interpreted correctly and you will get an error like "cannot execute /bin/bash^M" or so. Make sure to have Linux style line endings in the .sh file.

- root is good to start the script (though not necessary), but we need a database user to take the DB snapshot - that will be likely the <SID>adm user - you can specify this user in the script/hana.conf or in the hdbuserstore.

The scripts are provided examples and community supported. If you think you can make improvements to them feel free to create a pull request with your changes. Of course we try to provide working examples, but we don't claim to fulfill every need with these scripts.
Kind regards, Stefan