Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
StrazIT
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jason COmbs

Configuration Assistance - Backup onprem and cloud

Post by StrazIT »

New Veeam using here coming from DPM.

I would like to have a daily backup job that copies locally (performance tier) and to my cloud S3 bucket (Capacity Tier). In learning about the SOBR (Scale Out Backup Repository) this is used to offload to the capacity tier after x amount of days or % of capacity as long as the backup chain has been marked inactive.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... chain.html

My question is do I need to have one, daily, full backup job and one backup copy job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Configuration Assistance - Backup onprem and cloud

Post by Gostev »

One daily backup job is enough, there's no need for a backup copy job. Capacity Tier can be configured to automatically duplicate your backups to S3 bucket as soon as they are created in Performance Tier (aka Copy policy).

You're looking at the Move policy, and in the documentation for the previous product version btw (you can see the product version in the hyperlink).

Thanks!
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@StrazIT In v10 we introduced the Copy Mode which will immediately copy backup data to the object storage. What you linked is for the Move Mode which we introduced in v9.5.4

The Copy Mode is explained here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Hope this helps.

Steve
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
StrazIT
Novice

Post by StrazIT »

Thank you both for your reply.

After reading through both links, I upgraded my 9.5r4 to version 10 this morning so I now am able to see the Copy and Move Modes in my SOBR's.
I have configured 3 SOBR's, a daily, a weekly, and a monthly going to different folders in my S3 bucket.
All have the Copy Mode enabled. Once the backup chain is inactive then they will copy to my S3 bucket. To force this initial sync, I am running active fulls as we speak.
The Move mode is set for 14 days (my Daily SOBR), 30 days (my Weekly SOBR), 60 days (my monthly SOBR)

I build another Veeam server in my AWS EC2 with no backup jobs. My thoughts are to add the SOBR and rescan so if I lose my on-prem Veeam server, I can restore to AWS EC2.

Thanks for all your help!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

All have the Copy Mode enabled. Once the backup chain is inactive then they will copy to my S3 bucket.
With Copy Mode enabled, backups get copied as soon as they are created. There's no waiting for them to become inactive first.
My thoughts are to add the SOBR and rescan so if I lose my on-prem Veeam server, I can restore to AWS EC2.
Should work fine, and in case of restoring everything from scratch (fresh backup server) use Import Backup functionality.

Thanks!
StrazIT
Novice

Post by StrazIT » 1 person likes this post

Perfect Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Let us know, if any additional clarificaiton is needed. Thanks!