Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
alexs
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Samad

question about remote console

Post by alexs »

Hi

I was asking veeam support. why i had issues with restoring mail back into a mailbox.

so I have an account that does the backups ... call it svcO365Backup. and I have admin account Admin Alex.
I have my Veeam O365 backup server O365Server and I have my management box mbox, I also have a AWS S3 bucket.

so I have scheduled backups that store to the AWS S3 bucket.

I'm on my mbox (management box), start up the remote console, look to do a restore of exchange. so open the explorer find the email - i'm looking in my normal account - in the delete folder.
#1 problem - it takes nearly 10 min to load up the index. I ask why is that - the index is kept local ... the server has 500G of memory and 24 vCPU (2socket, 12 core). with nothing else on there.
- The response ... Microsoft has higher latency times cause of coronavirus ??? I'm lost on that

#2 when i go to restore the mail into the mailbox - a username and password prompt pops up ???? Why is it not using svcO365Backup .. it has all of the permissions

So I raise a ticket and we do a remote session with support person.

First thing we try is a powershell session the tech guy tries
Get-VBOOrganization

but that fails as its talking to 127.0.0.1 ???? I am on a remote machine .

I point out maybe to use
connect-vboserver

The response I recieve back after he has talked to his other engineers. Is to not use a remote console - not fully supported. I need to log onto the backup server and I need to log in with the service account.
Also connect-vboserver is not part of O365 powershell...

I'm rather gob smacked.

So I have asked him to escalate it. with the hope I get to talk to somebody with some knowledge
and I thought I would come here. See if I can get some better advise / suggestions on what to do

can I use a remote console - how to others do this ?

Oh and modern authentication seems to be an issue - thats been brought up a few some!

So I am very confused - why develop a remote console if you are going to recommend not to use it !

Thanks
# note case #04118714 so this doesn't get deleted in case i need to add
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: question about remote console

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey @alexs

So first: Yes, thanks for adding the case #, those are the rules of the forum :-)

#1: I'm not sure I follow this. You opened the Veeam Explorer for Exchange on the remote box. What exactly took 10 minutes to load? The restore point? Or something else

#2: This is because of security. Otherwise, everyone with access to the management box can open the explorer and start doing restores (or worse). We also believe that instead of the service account, many IT companies would like to have each backup admin to restore with their specific credentials that allow the restore. It is a rather common practice (and you can retrieve it in logs also so from a compliance point of view...)

Now, more importantly, I do not like at all what support is doing there. I'm taking this case to my meeting today with support and will ask to investigate. This might take a few days now that the weekend is here but I will see what we can do as fast as possible

Mike
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

Regarding the PowerShell, Connect-VBOServer is actually fully supported but I see he mentions "not part of O365 PowerShell". It could be he mixed things up.

To give you a quick example of how to use it:

Code: Select all

Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup365\Veeam.Archiver.PowerShell\Veeam.Archiver.PowerShell.psd1"
$Credential = Get-Credential
Connect-VBOServer -Server "SERVER" -Credential $Credential
Get-VBORepository
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
alexs
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Samad

Post by alexs »

@mike

Yeah I hear you but I don't want to give many people the rights to do that.
I would prefer the rights be given to the program and the security logs based around the program .

But now I know, I can work with it.