Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Jason_Ryan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Ryan

Skipping a VM in a backup job for one iteration

Post by Jason_Ryan »

Hi guys!

I'm looking to prevent a VM/Server from being backed up for one iteration of a Veeam backup job. The Scenario is:

"Backup Job 1" contains three servers:
1. "SQL Server"
2. "Application Server"
3. "File Server"

"Backup Job 1" runs daily at 20:30

What I am looking to do it to let this backup job continue running but exclude "Application Server" from Friday night's run and have it re-included on Saturday's run. Is there a way to achieve this without affecting/deleting the current backups of "Application Server"?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Skipping a VM in a backup job for one iteration

Post by dalbertson »

Not within the gui. Even if you used powershell to add it to the exclusion list for that night and add it back i think it would confuse the chain and take another full.

Best bet would be to create a job just for the App server and have its schedule. You could link these jobs to kick off after one finished.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Skipping a VM in a backup job for one iteration

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The job will not take another active full automatically if you just exclude and then re-add a VM because the backup set already contains full point of the corresponding object.

However, there are some cases when active full will be triggered:
1) You enabled this option in job settings and full point of an excluded VM falls out of the specified time period
2) The VM reference at the level of source infrastructure was changed (for example you re-registered VM at the level of vSphere), such VM is considered as completely new object by Veeam
3) The full run is triggered according to job schedule settings :)

You can exclude VM in UI if you add VMs by containers, please find the instructions here.
In case of agent management jobs you could try to remove a server at this step of job creation wizard.

If you decide to achieve this goal using PowerShell, you may take a look at this cmdlet.

Would you be so kind to clarify why would you like to exclude your Application server for specific runs?
Basically, I agree with Dustin that the best option is to have a dedicated job with its own schedule.

Thanks!