Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
adriani
Novice
Liked: never

Can a MSSQL DB be backuped up directly to tape

Post by adriani »

Hello.
We have serveral virtual an physical MSSQL databsase servers. In most cases, an application-aware VM bckup ill do the job.
In some cases however we would need to make backup the directly to tape.
I understand this is not possible.Or is it possible somehow to do that using file to tape backup?
Thank you very much in advence for your help
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Can a MSSQL DB be backuped up directly to tape

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The direct backups to tape are supported by MS SQL server itself.

However, Veeam B&R allows you to protect the whole server and database using the single backup job.
In this case, I would recommend to use backup to tape job (not file to tape).

Thanks!
adriani
Novice
Liked: never

Post by adriani »

Hi Petr.
Thank your for your answer. I am aware of backup to tape jobs. However as far as I understand that kind of job requires a previous disk backup (I mean a backup to disk) to send to tape. It is that the need to have that previous backup to disk that I want to avoid. Instead I seek to go directly from the live VM a DB to tape (in order to save space in the backup repository).

Thanks in advance for your clarification.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Your understanding is correct: you have to run a backup to disk before you can send it to tape using Veeam backup to tape job.
Direct backups to tape are supported by SQL server itself (please take a look at the link pasted above).

I'd suggest to opt for Veeam backup to tape job because you will be able to store backups on two different types of media as it's recommended by 3-2-1 rule.
You may switch backup chain mode to forever incremental or to consider Scale-Out Backup Repository with Capacity Tier support in order to save some space on repository.

Thanks!