Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
djonestp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Jones

Removing Data from Disk (Powershell Work?)

Post by djonestp »

Hello All,

I'm working on configuring my environment with Veeam Backup for Office 365 (version 4.0.0.1345). I've been doing some test backups and restores, to familiarize myself with the system, before doing a full production backup. I have a very small amount of test data backed up now. I'd like to delete that data and start fresh. I've used the powershell toolkit (Remove-VBOEntitydata) to delete the backup from the repository that has the data, which appears to be reflected properly in the explorer console (I no longer see the backup for the user data I selected for deletion). I was expecting the corresponding data to be deleted from the disk (NAS presented to the server as a single disk) where the backups are written and stored. When I checked the disk, the same veeam backup files were there (no number of files changed and the used disk space was the same). Was the Remove-VBOEntitydata process supposed to remove the data from the disk, as I had expected? If not, is the only way to remove the data from the disk to manually select all in windows file explorer and delete them? If that is the case and I have to do a deletion later for some reason, how do I know what files to selectively delete (the files aren't descriptive enough to know this by viewing in windows file explorer). In the case of this test, I only backed up my OneDrive and email, so it's easy to delete from the disk and know I'm not deleting some critical files. Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Removing Data from Disk (Powershell Work?)

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Derek,

I assume you are not using an object storage based repository. This means that the data in the repository is stored in a jet database. You will have indeed deleted data from the repository, but the repository itself not. Which means the repository's jet database(s) will remain. From a sizing perspective, it will remain as large as before the removal of the data, but the "white" spaces in the DB will be filled with new protected data.

Does it makes sense?

Thanks
Mike
djonestp
Novice

Post by djonestp »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Correct. I'm not using an object storage based repository. If I understand correctly, if I were to delete a backup using the remove-vboentitydata cmdlets, the data on the disk is not going to change (files deleted or recovery of space as a result of a deleted backup), but that "space" will be reused by a future backup? If that is the case, are there any recommended best practices for managing disk usage? I can grow the disk or add new disks as needed, but just wondering what the common thought might be on how to prevent disk usage for veeam backup for Office365 from getting out of control.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Derek,

The space that becomes available will be used first (it is the same type of database as Exchange) so the disk usage should normally not get out of control. Or do you see this different?
djonestp
Novice

Post by djonestp »

No, I'm not seeing anything different. I was just trying to understand what to expect going forward.