Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
mtran
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: M. Tran

V10 NAS Backup with Isilon?

Post by mtran »

Hi,

I've opened a case with ID 04159191. I'm hoping to find some technical documentation on how to backup from an Isilon NAS. I imagine it would be close to how the instructions are set for the NetApp from the system zone on the Isilon.

The file level backups failed but I think it was related to lack of access on the shares which is corrected now.

thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: V10 NAS Backup with Isilon?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Which instructions for Netapp do you mean?

As of today, there is nothing special about Netapp, Isilon or any other NAS system vendor from a Veeam perspective. All of them are just SMB or NFS shares. Well, Netapp supports remote VSS snapshots. For Isilon, there are scripts to create snapshots. You can find them on veeamhub.io

I just searched "system zone" and it seems to be similar to Netapp storage virtual machines (SVMs). As mentioned, there is no integration today for virtual filers.

Best regards,
Hannes
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran »

Thank you! I look forward to finding ways to optimize and improve our backups here.

I see and I think I understand now about the script to kick off snapshots. I am having errors creating a cache now on my initial backup attempts.

Here is an excerpt of the logs. I removed our server names.
[MOD] Logs removed. Please don't post debug log snippets, as requested when you click New Topic.

Can you provide insight into this? Our cache server is Linux and I confirmed it can resolve DNS to the target share. I'm not sure where this is failing now.
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran »

Looks like it was a permissions issue but i encountered another problem. Seems to have exceeded the licensed amount. I thought we licensed based on what we wanted to back up.
Brad.linch
VeeaMVP
Liked: 151 times
Full Name: Brad Linch

Post by Brad.linch »

There should be an Isilon backup admin role that you can utilize.
Manager, Enterprise SEs
VMCA
http://Linchtips.com
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran »

Thanks Brad, I added the service account to the backup role. I confirmed that I am able to see via SMB all the files we are trying to back up.
My new challenge is the backup job completed but all the files it detected are reported as inaccessible. The job reported that it completed successfully. I am only focusing on doing file level backup right now. The cache repository and proxy servers are both Windows. The repository is a SOBR with NFS targets. Would this cause an issue? Our VM backups are running fine without any issue.
I uploaded my logs with the completed job. I went ahead and tried enabling VSS on the file share setting to see if that makes a difference.

thank you again.
Brad.linch
VeeaMVP
Liked: 151 times
Full Name: Brad Linch

Post by Brad.linch »

All are inaccessible or it skipped some? If it skipped some that would just mean there were locked files and a snapshot can help with that. If it’s something else you may need to follow up with support.
Manager, Enterprise SEs
VMCA
http://Linchtips.com
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran »

All are inaccessible. I'm waiting on supports response. Thanks Brad!
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran »

Still no luck. The account credentials I'm using are a member of the Isilon BackupAdmin role. The job completes successfully but has an inaccessible error for all files and directories. When I do a restore test, I can see the directory structure but no files.
This leads me to believe it's still a permission issue of some kind.
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran »

Waiting on a schedule review with support. I created a completely new share and copied files to and from the SMB via Windows Explorer and I was able to do so. I also checked NTFS permissions on the files and the credentials I added the file share in Veeam are the same. I am still getting access denied on the backup job. The account is also a member of Backup Admin on the NAS. If anyone else has any suggestions, I am open to trying.
mtran
Influencer

Post by mtran » 1 person likes this post

I believe we found the solution. The BackupAdmin role only can be accessed from the system zone. When the account we were using attempted to access the files with that role it was denied across the other zones. just FYI for others.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mtran,

Glad you nailed it. Thanks for updating the thread and sharing the information with the community!