Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

I just realized that I can include multiple backup jobs within copy jobs

Post by lostbackups »

I have like 20 or so VM servers that I have individual Veeam backup jobs for and all the jobs go to my main backup storage server. That seems all good and fine but now I'm working on a secondary backup location on a NAS box in another building. I was going through creating a backup copy job for each original backup job individually but now I just realized that I could also just create one backup copy job and add ALL the original/primary backup jobs into that one job. That would make things a lot less confusing/more simple (I think) but I can't tell if there's any down-side to this approach. Is this an ideal approach or is there some drawback with lumping multiple backup jobs into one stream/blob of data?

EDIT: also yes I know that I can include multiple servers in one job as well.. seems like you can lump servers into individual jobs together in various different ways
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: I just realized that I can include multiple backup jobs within copy jobs

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
yes, the product is built to scale from a hand full of VMs to thousands of VMs. So customers need to have options. I mean, managing thousands of jobs is not really funny :-)

As your environment sounds pretty small, it does not really matter. But one VM per job sounds very complicated and time consuming to me.

The only thing that is important if you go beyond 30-40 VMs per job is, that you use per-VM backup files get multiple streams and smaller files.

Best regards,
Hannes
lostbackups
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by lostbackups »

Thanks for the response. So most of my primary backup jobs (jobs that copy the running VMs) are almost all the same but a few have different retention lengths and things, and I would like to be able to tweak each individual job as needed (at least for the primary jobs). If I create a secondary job and lump all those primary jobs in there, will it matter despite the original jobs having the different settings? I wouldn't plan on tweaking anything in the secondary job though.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

different retentions on the backup jobs are no issue for the backup copy job. the only thing you should (never) change is storage optimization option (block size)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 - just leave that on default. In general, most default settings are fine. There are only rare situations where small environments need tuning :-)