Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
garretr
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ross Garrett

[ID# 04163632] Snapshotless backup reports failed files when they are being removed by application during backup cycle

Post by garretr »

We are using a snapshotless backup for a GFS filesystem.
The backup cycle starts and detects what files are to be backed. Before Veeam backs these files up, the application removes the files as the application has completed processing the file contents.
It would be better I think that Veeam agent just backs files up as it encounters them and not do a check for them first and then try to back them up after a period of time.
We get a lot of 'Failed' file backups in the job report which is misleading as the files have been removed by the application.
Instead of 'Failed' which would mean that the file was there but Veeam agent could not back it up for some reason it should say 'Missing' which would show that the file no longer exists.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: [ID# 04163632] Snapshotless backup reports failed files when they are being removed by application during backup cyc

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I agree - having anything else but 'error' is way better in such cases. I'd say it should be a yellow 'warning' instead.

By the way - what are those files? I mean, it is something that can be excluded from the backup scope?

Thanks!
garretr
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ross Garrett

Re: [ID# 04163632] Snapshotless backup reports failed files when they are being removed by application during backup cyc

Post by garretr »

There are a few directories that would have to be omitted and therefore some files required may be missed in the backup.
A change of the error from 'Failed' to 'Missing' is better to filter on when the email is sent so that the job will not continually be flagged as failed.
Thanks