Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
drech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis Rech

Backing up the VeeamRepository folder

Post by drech »

Hi,

I'm new to Veeam Backup for Office 365 and am just trying the community edition which has performed a first backup quite fine.

I'm wondering if I can save the VeeamRepository folder where the backups are stored in our backup / on our NAS to recover the backup system in case of a hardware failure. So is it possible to install the software on a second computer, just copy the VeeamRepository folder over and then it will continue to work?

How can this be done?

I already came a few similar questions here, but actually they did not really answer that particular question.

Thanks,

Dennis
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Backing up the VeeamRepository folder

Post by Polina »

Hi Dennis and welcome to the Community!

KB2649 should answer most of your questions. If you have a copy of your VBO repository database, it can be reattached to a fresh VBO installation and historical restore points will be available again.

However, the recommended way would be to protect the entire server with Veeam Agent for Windows or Veeam Backup & Replication.
Here're some other discussions on a similar matter:
veeam-backup-for-office-365-f47/how-to- ... 66639.html
veeam-backup-for-office-365-f47/seconda ... ml#p299262
veeam-backup-for-office-365-f47/moved-e ... 65119.html

Thanks!
drech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis Rech

Post by drech »

Hey Polina,

thanks for your reply. This was very helpful. I have seen the way with Veeam agent, but we already have a backup system in place and actually I don't want to use another one. So if possible, I'd go with just backing up the Repository folder and hoping that it can be deployed to a new machine in case of failure, which is pretty well described in KB2649 that you mentioned. Guess that's the information I was looking for.

Have a nice week and stay healthy,
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Both Agent and VBR will 'recognize' that it's VBO with its databases in a backup and allow for accurate restores. If using a different backup solution, it'd worth testing the restores first, since the VBO repository is a Jet database with all its specifics.

Thanks and have a good day )