Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bdreyer
Novice
Liked: never

Failed to retrieve info about disk geometry. [04166846]

Post by bdreyer »

Good afternoon,

last week I started a Support Case, unfortunately it was closed without technical support, so I am trying to figure the matter out here.
Support Case number is 04166846.
Performing a Full Computer Backup to the same NAS as ever, since last week the following errors occur:
17.05.2020 16:59:01 :: Error: Das Gerät ist nicht bereit Failed to retrieve info about disk geometry. Failed to open emulated disk. Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
There were no active changes in infrastructure or computer configuration, which makes the errors hard to understand. Maybe it could be helpful to know, which device is stated as not ready. How can i retrieve this information?

Thanks for advice in advance!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Failed to retrieve info about disk geometry. [04166846]

Post by Gostev »

Hello, unfortunately we do not have such information. But this definitely looks like some environment-specific issue, so review of your debug logs by one of our support engineers is essential (and possibly a live troubleshooting session). Your best bet is to re-open the case periodically, and eventually it will get picked up from the "free cases" queue. Right now is just a bad timing due to our customer support being busier than usual in light of the new major release, and all the upgrades going. Thanks!
bdreyer
Novice

Post by bdreyer »

Hello again,
unfortunately, even after opening the issue again, there was no answer regarding the problem. So I did a little research on my own:
Performing Volume-Level-Backups I figured out that the systems Recovery-Partition is the reason the error is generated, trying to read its information, Veeam is cancelling the backup.
Its a bit of black magic, booting the recovery is possible without error.
When Windows onboard diagnosis cant help repairing the partition, I will try to recover from Veeam and see what happens.
But previously the other Volumes are backed up.
Regards
bdreyer
Novice

Post by bdreyer »

Good news:
resizing the Recovery-Partition solved the problem. Corresponding to another thread (MCSEBoard)
Partition Information is not recognized correctly. Decreasing partiton size&increasing it again in order to rewrite the information solved the problem, full computer backup is working again.
Thanks&Regards