Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jcronin
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup over RDM/NFS

Post by jcronin »

I'm having trouble with architecture for configuring back-up jobs with Veeam. I'm looking to do the following but can't find much documentation on how it would work; any insight would be appreciated.

I'm creating Veeam 5.0.2 backup jobs for my ESXi 4.1 VM's, saving these backups to a NFS share attached to a Linux VM as a RDM.

If I understand correctly, this would prevent replication/backup for the Linux VM due to this attached RDM, but as it stands I want to backup these VM's to a separate SAN/LUN than that which is hosting my ESXi servers. I'm basically using the Linux server VM specifically to mount the NFS share to, just so Veeam can view it as a backup location.

Am I digging myself into a hole with this? The thought is that if i somehow lose the ESXi SAN entirely, I have a separate SAN with these backup jobs available on.

Thanks,
Josh
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup over RDM/NFS

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Josh,

If you want to enable VMotion for this Linux VM, I would suggest using VMDK disks instead, however, for NFS I would rather recommend mounting NFS share to a Linux server, and use this Linux as a target in Veeam.

Thank you.
jcronin
Novice
Liked: never

Post by jcronin »

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't believe the VM will need to be VMotion enabled. If I expose this NFS diskspace via an RDM and create/mount it on the Linux VM and use it as a target, will that cause any issues? I'm fairly new to NFS/RDM and appreciate the help!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No issues, this is going to be a perfect target.